cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not make purchase: Payment pending and then canceled.

Can not make a purchase.

I have had this problem for several days. It is in the UK and US and is ebay. I called them and they are aware of the problem. You make a purchase, it says pending and then cancels a few minutes later. For me it is a US purchase from me a US buyer. So Doesn't have to do with different country. Ebay says there is a technical problem. I even added a different debit card and it canceled. We just have to wait I guess.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Can not make purchase: Payment pending and then canceled.

A debit card draws on your bank account. If there is no money in your bank, nothing can be taken from your debit card.
Basically you are writing an e-cheque.

And it sounds as if it bounced. Which bank account is your card attached too?

Have you tried using a CREDIT card to back your PP account.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Can not make purchase: Payment pending and then canceled.

There are many possible reasons why a transaction might not go through, among them:

Temporary glitch -- try again later.

Problem with the seller's eBay or PayPal account; in some cases the seller has not set up the account to accept payment from the buyer or from the buyer's location. Particularly the case when the seller is new to selling or located in another country than the buyer. Must be fixed by the seller. Does your seller ship to your location? If not, your seller may not be set up to receive a payment from you.

Problem with the buyer's eBay or PayPal account; similar to problems with the seller's account. In some cases PayPal needs additional documentation or the accounts need to be linked or verified, or the buyer needs to create a PayPal account as there are limits to the number and amount of transactions that can be completed as a guest without registering. Must be fixed by the buyer.

Problem with a particular payment method or card -- in that case trying a different card, or switching between using PayPal or entering a credit card into eBay's checkout might help. Also worth trying to pay using a bank account tied to a PayPal account or a cash balance in a PayPal account, if possible.

Problems with PayPal involving minimum payments -- notably when total transaction is less than a dollar. In some cases, adding a donation or combining items may raise the cost above the minimum amount necessary.

There are other potential issues as well, but if you are getting to the point where payment is pending and then fails, it is likely related to one of the above.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply