cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid disappeared from bid box on multiple tries

I had a frustrating experience tonight. Of course, it was on an item that has been listed only twice in the last 20 years, and I scheduled my whole evening around getting it. The first three times I typed in my bid, it disappeared from the bid box. Gone before I could hit the bid button. So I tried it again. Same thing. After the third try, it let me type one digit only. Just one. The item ended for a low price so the seller was cheated out of a chunk of money. I am disappointed and mad. Does anyone know what is going on??? Thank you!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Bid disappeared from bid box on multiple tries

Did you contact the seller to inform them?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Not yet. I wondered if I should or just let it go. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Kinda interested in the item,  might have it in the back 40 of the wonderland of back logged..

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

I would have without hesitation..

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

It's an antique textile. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

eBay has had a bid bug for a while that can clear the bid amount when a new bid is received and the page is updated, potentially making it hard to bid on popular auctions that receive many bids at the end of the auction.

Previously the bug only appeared when bidding directly on the bid history page, but eBay recently changed the way the bidding process works, and now the problem appears when entering a bid amount on the item page itself.

One way around the bug is to click the bid button without entering a bid amount, then enter the amount in the bid pop-up that appears, which apparently does not suffer from the amount-clearing bug.

Or you can use a snipe service to submit your bid for you.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I've finally found several threads on this problem.  It seems to have been first reported in the UK.

Just a heads up. Bidding from the listing page did not work for me tonight. 

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Buying/MAJOR-bug-with-new-bid-confirmation-window-item-selling-at-st...

Scroll down to the animated gif by user itbits08 to see the bid disappear. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

We have definitely had large fabric hoards far back as 20's possibly older but we tend to donate those..

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Thank you! 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

That's a very nice thing to do! 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Several times in past months I've lost with highest bids, the bid-box disappears, variously etc. Had thought it a local glitch, perhaps it was early roll-out. The new version seems unhelpfully complex - it wasn't broken, but it seems the fix is. I don't find this encouraging.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply