cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would someone help me with what this globe piece is?

I've tried to figure out what this is, it wins, I don't know!

Stands nearly 9" tall, weighs 2 1/2 lbs. Is it hand blown? It has a hole on top and an inner bubble, is it for a flower, incense, oil burner?

Anyone recognize what this is? It's gorgeous, iron stand.

Thank you so much.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It's called a gazing ball.

Link is to Google images of gazing balls.

https:https://tinyurl.com/y7l88et4

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Pretty neat...wish I could find one like it...
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That's what I thought it was too, as I sell spheres and globes but I have never seen one this elaborate with a center hole and inner cavity. It's gorgeous and has no makers mark, no idea of year, who made this, it looks hand blown and the glass is very fancy.

Anyone know what the hole is all about and also what style of glass is this?

Thanks rubiano98 🙂
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I actually think it's a oil burner.  The gazing balls I am familiar with are larger, hollow, and have a rubber stopper that is situated on the bottom.  The bubble would fill up with water, and potentially crack if it was left out during winter, or the water would become green with algae in warmer weather.  Just my opinion.  It looks nicer than any gazing ball I have seen..

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

"Beautiful Vintage Bubble Art Glass Incense Oil Burner/Candle Holder Paperweight" is what I found on Ebay..
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

How did they mess the punch bowl for birds feature?

george
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

ARTCRISTAL BOHEMIA is also a maker that looks a lot like this one in form, but the color is not near as nice as your find...
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Bubble Art Glass Incense Oil Burner!

You nailed it!! That's what it is, although I can't find any as elaborate as this one. I have no idea how someone would clean this if they did burn oils in it, would be very hard.

I guess there is little chance I can find out approximately when or where this was made? I haven't a clue on it's value, something about it screams, "Probably worth more than I think", but we all know how that turns out sometimes 🙂

I'd like to sell it but no idea how to price it or give any information on it as I am in the dark, lol!
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

ARTCRISTAL BOHEMIA is getting very close silaro2! Opened up an entirely different idea on this, could this be a bud vase?

It's attached to the iron stand, so it isn't a paperweight, I think gazing ball is out due to the elaborate hole and second bubble inside.

So oil burner or bud vase or ???? I love finding these things, but the identification is often such a challenge 🙂

Thanks so much everyone! I'm still narrowing it down if an idea comes to mind.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

How much oil would this hold?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I still think it's a oil burner.  I have a little cheap one that I use the Smokeless Clean lamp oil in, and  I never had a need to clean it.  It wouldn't have to hold much oil since they burn very little.  Also, could someone glued it to the stand?  The stand looks like some elaborate pillar candle holder that I have seen.  If you want to take a chance and try to remove it from the stand, it MAY be marked on the glass base. But, you never know...

Anyway, it is a nice find!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Hard to say but less than an ounce.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

You know, that's quite possible! I was looking at it this morning and thought maybe a crafter had put it together. The stand does look like it was made for a big candle.

I'll see how well it is attached to the metal stand and if I get brave, see if it can be separated. You're right, the only clue would be on the base of the globe.

Thanks!!
Message 14 of 14
latest reply