cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Pottery Platter - Help Please

Bought this from a very old woman, but that doesn't mean anything,  told it had been in her family for years, but again that doesn't mean anything, It is 11 1/2" long and 7 1/2" wide.  At first I thought Italian Pottery but now I am confused.  Your thoughts would be most appreciated.  There are no marks on the bottom,

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ok,  to clarify. No idea if the image I posted is antique. It came up in an 8 sided platter search. Yours looks older, might be Italy, idk. 

Sometimes you just have to go with your instincts on a piece and list it as vintage rustic platter hand painted pottery. You can mention Italian feel, possibly Italian or something like that in the description and item specifics, but not the title. 

Note that it is hand painted and the colors (in title if possible). Someone will want it as a serving piece.

Maybe you helped somebody, who knows? Good Luck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Will that big brownish stain come out?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

There is no stain there, it is the way the platter photographed with the light in my kitchen, any thoughts on the maker or even a country?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

See the source imageQuick search using 8 sided antique platter. Most were English with Asian patterns. This one says Nova Deruta Italy (I know the image is very different).  I like your rustic painted one. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

So she wasn't lying it really was older.    Thanks so much

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Ok,  to clarify. No idea if the image I posted is antique. It came up in an 8 sided platter search. Yours looks older, might be Italy, idk. 

Sometimes you just have to go with your instincts on a piece and list it as vintage rustic platter hand painted pottery. You can mention Italian feel, possibly Italian or something like that in the description and item specifics, but not the title. 

Note that it is hand painted and the colors (in title if possible). Someone will want it as a serving piece.

Maybe you helped somebody, who knows? Good Luck.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Also, please remember, when family stories are attached to an item all bets are off! I am sure they were not lying to you, they were just told you what they were told.

For example, in my family there is a photo of my father in the rose garden with JFK. I have the photo so I know what it is and where it came from, and when I got it I made clear to everyone in my family (I am 1 of 9) what it was!

After my parents passed away I got an email from my sister who wanted to know where the photo of our father with JFK that was signed by JFK was.

OY! I had to tell her - yet again - the photo was a Washington Post photo of JFK giving a speech in the rose garden about hiring the handicapped. My father (who was a personnel executive for a large company) was one of many business men in the garden listening to the speech. It was not signed by JFK!

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

All families have folklore. Often it gets distorted as it's passed on.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Great story. I hope everyone got a copy of the photo that wanted one. 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@poppyswag wrote:

Great story. I hope everyone got a copy of the photo that wanted one. 

Nope, I still have the original and no one wanted a copy when they finally understood what it really was. Here is the photo, I circled my father.

DaddyJFKLargerDaddyCircled.jpg

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

What a cool photo. Nice thing to have of your dad. Thanks for sharing.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply