cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling China Date Codes

We get requests for Sterling China date codes, and the only chart I know is in Lehner's Ency.  of U.S. Marks.  The odds of my being able to post a picture are slim, but let's see:IMG_20191206_115510.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Thanks for posting. Looks great.

Just posted a question on the other thread, so I'm going to repost here in case anyone has more info. From the chart I guess there is no J. Do you think the dash on the first line means no number or letter - like these cups? Also, are these called bouillon or soup cups (the double handle)?

HPIM1704.JPGHPIM1700.JPG

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I'd guess the J is some kind of factory code and not a date code. The ribbon or banner marks are at the end of the list, but she doesn't say anything except to group them in with the 1960s and 70s. Yes, the cup with double handles is a bouillon cup as long as the shape is the same as a teacup. The wider handled ones are cream soup.
Janet
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you, yes they are cup size. Great for sides of gumbo and jambalaya.

Have 2 pink bowls marked with the same J. Guessing from the style and color, maybe more 50's. Oddly, the chart skips from H to K on the letter and letter/number lists.

Sterling is very close to where I'm from, same county. All came from the flea markets when I was a kid.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply