Seeking insight into age or maker of German porcelain sleeping cat

IMG_4993.JPG

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

This cat belonged to my Grandparents, born in 1914 & 1915, and it has been around for as long as my Grandma can remember (she's 104 now). I saw another post which mentioned the Red Germany Stamp, but I noticed a little mark under the circle and didn't know if that was significant or not. Any help is MUCH appreciated!! 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

This type of mark is often nicknamed 'donut mark' and is normally not related to a certain maker. It represents a tax/customs mark utilized on (normally) otherwise unmarked exports and was used between 1904 and around 1917-1920, depending on sea port. Rules of use were rather complicated. They involved the purchase of mark templates as proof of paid export tax; these templates were then used to mark the items. Alternatively a customs officer could also wet-stamp the items personally, at port. This whole 'tax paid' marking method was of course prone to error and forgery and therefore soon replaced.

There is much more to this mark type, e.g. why and when it was used together with a maker mark or why it sometimes appears personalized towards a specific marker but none of that applies here.

Regards, Chris
( for more German porcelain IDs see: PorcelainMarksAndMore.com )
Message 3 of 3
latest reply