cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to identify maker and purpose of raised center on this cranberry glass vase.

I would like to list this item on eBay but I need more information as to who the maker is.  Also I've never seen the raised glass center.  Is something missing or is it to help with flower arrangement?bottom.jpgCranberry Glass Vase.jpgraised center 2.jpgraised center.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Need help to identify maker and purpose of raised center on this cranberry glass vase.

@geekie,

The raised center in the base is commonly seen in wine bottles, and is called a punt. In wine bottles, it is thought to be a carry-over from when the bottles were hand blown, it was easier to make a bottle that could stand upright with a punt, because otherwise the pontil (where it was removed from the blow pipe) could make it unstable.

If your glass vase was hand blown, then it could be there for the same reason.

Here are some explanations for punts from wikipedia; these are specific to wine bottles, so I have edited for the reasons that may be relevent for a hand-blown vase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle#Punts

A punt, also known as a kick-up, is the dimple at the bottom of a wine bottle. There is no consensus explanation for its purpose[citation needed]. The more commonly cited explanations include:[2]

• It is a historical remnant from the era when wine bottles were free blown using a blowpipe and pontil. This technique leaves a punt mark on the base of the bottle; by indenting the point where the pontil is attached, this scar would not scratch the table or make the bottle unstable.
  • It had the function of making the bottle less likely to topple over—a bottle designed with a flat bottom only needs a small imperfection to make it unstable—the dimple historically allowed for a larger margin of error.
  • It makes the bottle easier to clean prior to filling with wine. When a stream of water is injected into the bottle and impacts the punt, it is distributed throughout the bottom of the bottle and removes residues

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think this is Pilgrim Glass. I see one listed with an original box. I don't know if there's a special name for this recessed base, but maybe someone else will help.
Janet
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your information.  I am hopefull that someone can help to identify the function of the raised center portion of the vase.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@geekie,

The raised center in the base is commonly seen in wine bottles, and is called a punt. In wine bottles, it is thought to be a carry-over from when the bottles were hand blown, it was easier to make a bottle that could stand upright with a punt, because otherwise the pontil (where it was removed from the blow pipe) could make it unstable.

If your glass vase was hand blown, then it could be there for the same reason.

Here are some explanations for punts from wikipedia; these are specific to wine bottles, so I have edited for the reasons that may be relevent for a hand-blown vase.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_bottle#Punts

A punt, also known as a kick-up, is the dimple at the bottom of a wine bottle. There is no consensus explanation for its purpose[citation needed]. The more commonly cited explanations include:[2]

• It is a historical remnant from the era when wine bottles were free blown using a blowpipe and pontil. This technique leaves a punt mark on the base of the bottle; by indenting the point where the pontil is attached, this scar would not scratch the table or make the bottle unstable.
  • It had the function of making the bottle less likely to topple over—a bottle designed with a flat bottom only needs a small imperfection to make it unstable—the dimple historically allowed for a larger margin of error.
  • It makes the bottle easier to clean prior to filling with wine. When a stream of water is injected into the bottle and impacts the punt, it is distributed throughout the bottom of the bottle and removes residues

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the information.  I feel confident now in listing this item...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply