cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with etched compote please

Might be a long shot but I'm getting nowhere in my research. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this etched compote(?). It's very nicely done with daisies(?) and butterflies and foliage. The "bowl" is 1/4" thick so it's pretty substantial. Stands almost 8" high - the bowl is about 6" across. No markings. No luck yet on Replacements. The purple tint is a reflection from my camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

900-131 001.JPG

900-131 003.JPG

900-131 004.JPG

900-131 005.JPG

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Hi, I can not help ID, but I can tell you the design is cut, not etched. The areas where the design is frosted is because those areas were left unpolished Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Well that would make a bit of difference wouldn't it! I found a similar shaped hexagon stem made by Heisey so I'll chase that down. Thank you!  Mark

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

for me it looks like a gray cutting most likely giftware from Europee and fairly new. It does not look like heisey to me I think the glass was made after Heisey closed. Does the glass have lead content ie react to shortwave blacklight.

george
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you George. I'm afraid I won't have access to my black light until next week. It does have considerable wear on the bottom. I'm not sure what "gray cutting" is? 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Gray curing is another name for the unpolished cut design Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The cut marks can be made clear by using increasingly finer grades of grit/rouge (generally visable with a loupe, or acked or fire polished to remove the gray. It is possible but unlikely that this was sand carved (ie sand blasted).
george
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you both - I learn so much from this forum. Is gray curing a bad thing? Does it lessen the value of a piece? I am assuming once I can get this piece under a black light that the different colors it may display mean different things and will indicate the possible age of the piece?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The notching in the rim makes me think Euopean-made. For some reason I have that stuck in the dim recesses of my memory as a typical European glassware thing.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Short wave will show lead in a blue long wave does not. Gray cutting is a decorating techniquw. The skell with which it ia used is what counts.
george
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thank you all for the information and opinions. We'll see what it does under the blacklight next week. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I was finally reunited with my blacklight today. This compote has a nice yellowish glow. What would that indicate?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Long or short wave UV light?
george
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I can't find the literature on the light but I'm fairly certain it is long wave.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply