cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not identify old bowl- please help!

Hello!

I recently aquired an old bowl from an estate sale that I know absolutely nothing about and I would love some help identifying where it may have come from or what kind it is or really just any sort of info about it so I can begin to research a value.

I have looked for the past two weeks extensively online and since I live near Vegas I even took it to that museum guy from Pawn Stars with the beard (Mark) that identifies stuff for them but he hasn't had time to look at it yet and no one else at the museum was qualified to help.

So here I am! If you even have a guess please throw that in there, anything helps! In real life it is auspicious looking and when you hold it it seems like wood because of the weight but honestly I can't even tell you that! I'm that clueless! 

Here is EVERYTHING I know about the owner of the bowl if that helps- The owner's name was Donna Bear Scott of Santa Barbara California and she owned a copper enamels business. She made her own ceramics occassionally but never anything remotely like this, from a wheel, or this pattern at all. She never put patterns on her work- I know becasue I also purchased over 2000 of her 35mm slides and she took slides of every single thing she ever created and put them in slide boxes which I've reviewed to look for this bowl. 

This bowl was found in her china cabinet surrounded by native american pottery and one of her pieces of art (a sculpture of a head). 

The bowl is unsigned and up close you can see the glaze is damaged in some places and has started to yellow on the bottom. It is painted on both sides (which I find a bit unique) but the quality of the design itself is interesting but not great. It isn't precision work, which makes me think it's either really really old, or really really worthless. I'm hoping for the first one! 

Is it **bleep**? Is it valuable? Is it just an oddity? Please help! I'd sincerely appreciate it!!! 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is Shipibo, from Peru, in the Upper Amazon region of South America.

It looks old but was first produced in the late 1940's, and is still being produced for export today. The Shipibo used to make plain, undecorated pottery for their own use.  After World War II, missionaries to the area convinced the potters that if they decorated the pots with the traditional designs used on their textiles and face painting, they would have an item that would sell well on the market. It became the tribe's main source of income.

The maze-like black line pattern decoration is the definitive identifying feature of Shipibo work.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What is it made of? It almost looks like paper.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Where it's chipped, it looks like red clay.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Chumash Indians are from that area. You could google image search images for Chumash Indian bowls or pottery to see if you can find something similar.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@taupou

any ideas on this one?

Patd

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

It is Shipibo, from Peru, in the Upper Amazon region of South America.

It looks old but was first produced in the late 1940's, and is still being produced for export today. The Shipibo used to make plain, undecorated pottery for their own use.  After World War II, missionaries to the area convinced the potters that if they decorated the pots with the traditional designs used on their textiles and face painting, they would have an item that would sell well on the market. It became the tribe's main source of income.

The maze-like black line pattern decoration is the definitive identifying feature of Shipibo work.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I honestly don't know. you can knock on it and it's quite sturdy but I have no idea if it's clay or wood or something else entirely.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Wow! Thank you SO much! You are incredibly helpful!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for looking and answering, Taupou.

Patd

Message 9 of 9
latest reply