cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that bother me

Hi All, I've lurked long enough. Collecting for just a few years averaging about 100 purchases a month. Many from some of you folks. There's a few things I just want to get off my chest speaking from a buyers perspective. - Receiving unidentified packages - I make it a point to ask for the sellers ebay name to be included, and still I receive mystery packages. - Too much Tape - As if the package or mailer were not enough some folks just love tape. So much that it's hard to get the card unpacked sometimes. - Tape that won't come off - The kind that leaves adhesive residue on the nice hard and soft plastic sleeves included with some deliveries. - Soft mailers - Just asking for trouble, they bend, crumple. Sometimes go through the mail sorting machines even though the should not and get mangled. - Envelopes that are too small - so small that I end up cutting the soft sleeve or damaging the card just trying to get it open. Well it's turning out to be a great historical reaserch tool for me. No offense intended toward anyone in particular. I just thought I'd raise a few topics from the buyers view. Best Regards, Werner
Message 1 of 563
latest reply
562 REPLIES 562

Things that bother me

i agree with the tape 100% sometimes I feel like I am operating on this poor envelope and unfortunately I have ended up cutting my card just trying to get it out of its overly taped package. My pet peeve is bubble envelopes, I would rather have my card sent in a regular envelope with cardboard cut from cereal boxes surrounding it. I have had sooooo many cards bent from being shipped in a bubble envelope. Joyce
Postcards of all ages For all ages!
Message 2 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

Thanks for sharing your concerns Werner. I am happy to say that I am not guilty of any of your "seller sins." My packages are marked with my eBay ID and I identify the contents as an eBay item, no tape anywhere on the inside of my stiff cardboard mailer (I love the folks who charge 2 bucks for shipping and send the card in a cheap letter envelope, spend the extra 10 cents people and get a CARDBOARD MAILER) - and I use CD mailers (about 6X6 inches square) with the zip tab opener on the back of the package. Professional packaging is key to great feedback. Even though your customers may not leave negative feedback because of packaging, they may not return as customers. Once again Werner, thanks for reminding us all of some basic exemplary selling techniques.
Message 3 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with these concerns. River, I have had problems with those bubble envelopes too, you are not alone. Marko, Hi, hope you are well. The method you use is by far the BEST. Thanks a bunch. I hope my tips help everyone. Werner
Message 4 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

dhcinc
Enthusiast
I guess I'm guilty of a few; I promise to change my ways!
Message 5 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

padthelad
Enthusiast
hi i post in one of the brown manilla "do not bend" envelopes in a plastic sleeve. I buy the big A4 size and cut it into 4 smaller ones then stick the card in seal over the edge with brown packing tape on the two open sides and thats it.... never had a complaint about packing. I imaging you can split the packing tape carefully with a craft knife or pick it up on the back and peal it off. The packed card also weighs less than 20g so it posts worldwide for 72p cheers paddy
Message 6 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

I hate when a seller charges for their gas and the time they have to stand in line at the post office .
Message 7 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

Especially when there's no need for that at all. Accept or use PayPal, and you can print up the mailing label with postage and just drop it off in any mailbox or post office, or the post office will pick it up for you! Not to mention that many post offices have night time or 24-hour shipping locations. Standing in line or driving to a post office is an unnecessary expense and waste of time, and the buyer shouldn't have to pay for that. 1st-class mail, which is appropriate for postcards, only requires a stamp, no waiting, no driving. I never understand why sellers complain about low sales, when they don't offer resonable shipping/handing costs. - Terry
Message 8 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

I charge a flat rate of $1.50 to mail postcards and I think this is reasonable. The cards are enclosed in a clear sleeve and shipped in a stiff cardboard mailer. PayPal postage does not work for me because they automatically take on delivery confirmation on a first-class parcel. This costs fifteen cents but the problem is the PO does not accept a first-class mailing w/ delivery confirmation unless the parcel is .5" minimum thick. Sometimes my parcels have a few cards in them and they need to be weighed. Anyway, I think a buck fifty is reasonable (and this includes as many cards as the buyer purchases). It does gripe me though when someone charges four and five dollars for shipping a postcard. This is all from a sellers point of view.
Message 9 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

Yep, I agree. $1.50 is reasonable. I was recently at the post office, and was told that the package has to be 3/4" or more to qualify for delivery confiramtion with 1st-class mail. Isn't delivery confirmation 13 cents? Anyway, I usually skip people who automatically charge $4.50 or more for Priority Mail, regardless of what they're selling. For books, CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes and such, media mail is a great deal, and very cheap. A coin or two, or postcards can easily go first class, even in a bubble envelope, or sandwiched between cardboard. I just bought a coin tie tac, and 1st-class shipping, including the bubble wrap all around it, was just $1.12. - Terry
Message 10 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

Terry, the .13 cent confirmation is for those who print a shipping label (paid or not) for whatever reason many sellers do not print labels and still pay the .55 or whatever the fee is at the post office. Do not skip the priority mail, in many cases it is only pennies more than parcel rate! joyce
Postcards of all ages For all ages!
Message 11 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

padthelad
Enthusiast
hi if you want proof of postage in the UK you have to queue and if you aint got this then there isnt any insurance :-( cheers pad
Message 12 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

Well It happened again. One of my "seller No-no's". Three times in one week I received a single card shoe-horned into an envelope so small that when the flap was folded over it also folds over the soft plastic sleeve. So, here I am opening envelopes with a knife, slicing open the top as one normally does and I cut off the edge of the plastic sleeve. The card is in so tight that I have to cut open another side just to get it out in one piece. It still amazes me that some sellers do not consider the receiver's end of the transaction. Best regards, Werner
Message 13 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

dmhcollectibles
Enthusiast
perhaps this is an unpopular opinion, but there are equally bad stories from the seller's perspective.

Contact me about how to get free shipping for postcards you buy!
Message 14 of 563
latest reply

Things that bother me

Phew - I haven't commited any crimes against postcards! I too like Pad have to stand in line for the C of P - but I can't complain because my post office is in the village pub, so I can have a coffee whilst I wait (yes really coffee!) As a seller my pet peeve is that since the intrduction of PIP in the UK my board backed envelopes are now too big, so I have to sit and cut them down to size (I purchase in bulk so have over 1000 in stock) to save the 12p extra it would cost on postage - sometimes it is cheaper to send items overseas with our new system, maybe I could mail all my cards to my pal in france and get her to readdress them back to the UK! I finally found a UK source for plastic sleeves which work out at under a penny each! Sara
Message 15 of 563
latest reply