cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold an item no longer available

I sold an item that is no longer available. I didn’t realize my husband had given it away. I am new to selling. What is the process I need to go through?  I feel really bad and don’t want to seem like an unreliable seller

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@tebu8427 

You need to refund the buyer and politely explain the situation to them.  Sorry for your frustration.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-sell...?

Happy Selling

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

You'll need to cancel the transaction with the reason: "Out of Stock or Damaged".  This will refund the buyer and close the sale.

rosszonebricks_0-1714392129688.png

Note that eBay takes this kind of cancellation seriously, but it is likely to happen to all sellers at some point.

It's wise to message with the buyer with a simple apology explaining the situation.  The buyer will be able to leave a Negative feedback if they choose to, so that apology can go a long way to avoiding that. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I sold an item that is no longer available. I didn’t realize my husband had given it away. I am new to selling. What is the process I need to go through?

Go to your seller hub and find the transaction in the Awaiting Shipment section:
https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord?filter=status:AWAITING_SHIPMENT

Use the little action dropdown next to the order and choose "Cancel Order" and then choose the reason "Out of stock or Damaged":

luckythewinner_0-1714392346959.png

I feel really bad and don’t want to seem like an unreliable seller

You really cannot control what a buyer thinks of you when you cancel a tranaaction. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

"I didn’t realize my husband had given it away. . . .  What is the process I need to go through?"

Tell your husband not to do that ever again.  Never.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

You need to tell your husband that you're selling stuff on eBay.  Then sell something of his without telling him to even the score.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you all for you help!  My husband and I have had a little talk:)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply