cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to selling on eBay

I’m new to selling here!! I listed an item starting bid was $45. and I set the buy now price at $115. The item sold and I didn’t know if. The buyer is requesting the return of their money which I don’t have a problem with because they purchased it for like $47 .. I never received information about it selling or a bid I never accepted.. I’ve contacted the seller back. But honestly what should I do ?? The shipping is gonna be more than they paid or what I’d made off it?? Somebody please help!! 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: New to selling on eBay

Please let me know if i have this correct. You sold an item that you listed but was not aware it sold for days or a week. The buyer contacted you because they did not get any shipping info and wanted a refund because they paid for the listing they won. Now you realize it will cost you more to ship because you did not set a minimum on the listing. Now you are not sure what to do. I think that sums it up so i will answer to this....

Obviously you knew it was listed (because you listed it) and should of know it would eventually end. (auctions end unlike fixed pricing). The buyer has a right to be upset because they upheld there part. Personally i would reach out to the buyer and apologize and offer them a few different options.

1. Offer to send them the item as agreed quickly and upgrade there shipping if possible.

2 Offer a discount from there purchase price if shipping upgrade is not possible.

3 Offer a refund immediately and offer a discount on something else in the future.

Take the hit now while apologizing. Hopefully the buyer will understand and not give you negative feedback which would be your first feedback. Not the best way to start on Ebay but you live and learn.

-Good Luck

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@delray042513 wrote:

I never received information about it selling or a bid I never accepted.. 

The only part of your post I am addressing is this line. I would wager that the notification of the sale is in your ebay messages. 

You do not "accept" bids....once a bid is placed it is automatically "accepted" if it is above the previous bid (or above your opening/listing price) The Buy It Now price is irrelevant once a "bid" is made. It is removed as an option.

As far as what should you do? Unless you want to start your journey off on the wrong foot, just send the item to the buyer (if they still want it) ...or, as you indicated, they want a refund, just have them initiate a refund request through the ebay syste, not through messaging with you.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for your help!! I'll surely take your advice and contact her again 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you for responding,  it helps a lot!!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You need to cancel as out of stock so the buyer is not blamed.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Looking at the item I am thinking it is a little late other than refunding the buyer now...yes now...

Refund is $45...other stuff is just tax...

And because it was an auction you will be charged an eBay fee of the selling price. No way around that.

And I would pay that or the account will be frozen until you do.

Plus if you haven't sold in 30 days sometimes the funds(refund) will come out of your banking resource...before getting the funds from the sale.

Selling or auctioning one item on eBay is not the way to start.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I do understand and agree with you,  but with me just starting out as a seller eBay actually has you do your first listing and that’s how I sorta got caught up in this situation not knowing what I was doing!! So it’s either  eat my losses and learn from my mistake or take a bad review right off the get!! I’ve got a boat load of stuff to list which most is antiques and vintage items!!  Thank you for your help and honest opinion!! 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply