cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Pickup - what if buyer says they don't want item after they see it at my home?

I want to sell a sleep number bed with only local pickup.

What happens if the buyer decides they don't want the bed even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with it? Like maybe they never tested a sleep number bed before and they don't like how it feels? 

Would I get my selling fees back? Or am I out those fees no matter what.  I am totally fine with giving a full refund, I just don't want to be out the selling fees.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Local Pickup - what if buyer says they don't want item after they see it at my home?

Would I get my selling fees back?

@moonslice 

In this situation, if you cancelled the order (Buyer requested), the FVFs will be reversed. No worries!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I haven't used ebay in maybe 15 years. Does the payment by the buyer go into my "payment" method, which it looks like is a credit card account? If so, how do I refund the buyer their money when I 'cancel' ?

When I search help for returning payment - it says it would go back from my checking account, but I only have a credit card under payments. Then it says I need to set up a 'seller account' but I don't see how to do that. It just takes me to "Start a Listing".

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You need to complete the managed payments registration process which includes linking a bank account @moonslice .

If an order is cancelled, eBay pulls the funds from your linked account, then separately the original payment is deposited to your account after it clears. It evens out in the end but it's not an instantaneous process. New sellers (which is how you will be classified) are generally subject to 30 day payment holds. I'm not sure if they'd release the hold earlier if the transaction is cancelled. It's a question you can ask eBay customer service if it's a concern to front the funds on a refund.

If the buyer agrees to pay cash on pickup then none of that comes into the picture. There's an option in the listing flow to add cash on pickup as a payment option. You can include a statement in your listing like, "cash on pickup preferred," but you must also allow electronic payments and can't discourage a buyer from using that option or know in advance if they'll go ahead and pay before your communications begin.

I suggest reviewing policy pages for a basic grasp of things (eBay is essentially a different marketplace from 15 years ago), and come back if you have more questions. I'm going to paste some new seller links below.

New sellers are targets for scammers that will make fake offers and try to get you to text or email them outside of eBay. They may bring up gift cards or say they're having trouble sending a PayPal payment so they need your email which is always a red flag. Keep messaging on eBay.

Some basic info on getting started:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-started-selling

Selling limits:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-limits?id=4107

Payment holds for new sellers:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816

Selling fees:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Using local pickup:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/setting-shipping-options/local-pickup?id=4181

General payments info:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold?id=4814

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@moonslice 

Since you have not sold in a long time, you are not enrolled in eBay Managed Payments and no longer have a valid seller account.  To start the process, you do have to start a listing. When you attempt to publish that listing, eBay will store it as a draft and will redirect you to the seller onboarding process. 

The are two stages.

1) The first stage surrounds your identity and requires you to decide whether you are selling as an individual or as a legal business entity. You will be asked to provide a full legal name, physical address, date of birth, and tax id number (required by federal law). You may be asked to upload a picture of your driver license or other government document.

2) The enrollment process allows you to skip this second stage until you actually have a sale, but it is best to get it out of the way now because there can be delays. The second stage is to link a checking account that will accept both ACH credits and debits. The name on that account must match the name on your eBay account. eBay will verify the checking account by asking you to log into your online account through a third-party portal. Alternatively, you can request microdeposits be sent to your checking account. Upon receipt, those values must be reported back to eBay's acknowledgement screen.

eBay now processes all buyer payments and will withhold payout to you until your checking account has been linked.  There are also other types of holds for new sellers and high value sales.

Back to your sale. If the buyer asks that you cancel the sale, you can do so at buyer request and receive a full refund. However, the sale will still be reported on an IRS 1099-K at the end of the year if the total amount the eBay collects from buyers on your behalf exceeds $600 for the year (required by federal law). It would be up to you to counter the income on your tax return with your selling expenses and cost of goods.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you everyone for such good advice! 😁

I did figure out finally that my old original account was "business" so like you said, I do have to create a whole new account, and I see there is a monthly charge for that. So I decided to just start creating a new personal account going forward.

I guess I will lose my 100% positive rating and people will be reluctant to buy from me, but I'll put a link to my original profile where people can verify that hopefully.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@beachguysb 

@moonslice 

There is no monthly charge for a business account. You might be confusing that with a store subscription, which can be attached to either a personal or business eBay account. I don't have an eBay store subscription on any of my business or personal accounts.

Whether a business account or personal account, the only thing that actually matters is that your identity info must match your federal id and your banking account.  eBay defines a personal and business account based on your legal standing as an entity.

For instance, I have a corporation, so two of my accounts operate under that corporation and federal tax id, and I then had to provide stakeholder information (with personal identity docs) as a principle in the corporation (no different than on my corp tax return) in order to sell. I linked the same corporate checking account to both eBay business accounts. On my personal accounts, I had to provide personal identity info and had to link a personal checking account in order to sell.

I also have a couple of accounts that don't sell, so they remain in the same state as your older account. Thus far, no identity info is required for a buying account, and all I need is to provide a payment method at checkout.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

From eBay "Refunding buyers."

"When you offer your buyer a refund, the amount will be paid from the total of Available,  Processing,  and On hold funds. If you don't  have enough funds to cover the cost of the refund, the amount will be paid from your linked checking account or an on-file payment method. 

For example, if you issue your buyer a $100 refund and you only have $80 in Available, Processing or On Hold funds, your payout checking account or on-file payment method  will be used to fund the remaining $20."

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for letting me know I don't have to pay for a business account! But I guess that will mean that even though everything I sell is my personal property, I will have to pay taxes on all sales? Ugg.

So if I stay as a business, can I keep my existing 'business' account that has 100% positive reviews at

https://www.ebay.com/usr/moonslice

It's asking me to "Register as a business Seller" - maybe I can just do that under my current account?

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@beachguysb 

You may have originally opened your eBay account as a business, back when it didn't matter and it was easy to change back and forth.

If you have a legal business entity and file a tax return as a business, then do register as a business. Otherwise, you should be able to change to a personal account during the onboarding process when it asks you to choose (as long as your contact info and bank are both personal).

This is the screen I saw two years ago to make that choice:

Registration - Business vs PersonalRegistration - Business vs Personal

A personal account can still file as a schedule C business on the tax return to take full advantage of deductions available to a home business.

Once you choose to be a business, there is no going back, as the enrollment has many more requirements of a business. However, it appears that if you enroll with a personal account, it might be possible to upgrade to a business account later.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply