cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Seller

I just sold my first listing on eBay and I have been using the app and the web. I was and still am confused about how you would know how big a pdf(the label) is going to print on a sheet of paper. It says 8 x 11 in, 4 x 6 in and    2 x 7 in (USPS only). I got the 8 x 11 in label and printed it out and the piece of paper was 8 x 11 in and the label was less than half the size in the top left corner, I wonder how the 4 x 6 in would look. I just wanted to make sure it would fit on my shipping box. My question is, I just sold something for the first time, when I was trying to understand the size of the label, on the app it was giving me the options to choose a size but I was on the web and when I click print label it just gave me the label to print and said it was shipped, and I think it took the fees from my funds, I don't know if they were available funds or total funds. I wasn't ready to ship it, I voided the label and created a new one the next day. It says under all my activity that the label was purchased twice and I had got charged a little for not having enough funds. Why are my available funds negative and my on hold funds are the same amount but they are not negative? And will I get a refund for the label I voided?(it says I purchased a label twice under all my activity on the purchase)

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: First Time Seller

Hey @britco-78 . Let's start with label size. 2x7 is intended for label printers with stickers that size. Ignore that option.

That leaves you with 4x6 or 8x11. In truth, 4x6 is intended for label printers with stickers that size, however you should also be able to print it just fine on a regular printer. 8x11 is intended for regular printers, and will generate up to 2 labels per page (4x6 in size) if you use bulk shipping, or a single label if you buy labels one at a time.

Basically, if you're using a regular printer, 8x11 (the default) works just fine for you.

Now, payment method:

In order to access different payment methods you will have to change from the ridiculous "simplified" label page eBay shows new sellers as a default. You do that by expanding your options at the top as shown below:

On the label purchase page make sure your label options are expanded:

shippingoptions.png

Once you do that you will see a host of other options like signature confirmation, insurance, etc. Then there will be a panel on the right where you can change your ship from address, or change label size, etc. You will also be able to change your payment method from available funds to PayPal.

This screenshot is intended to show sellers how to change label size:

printformat.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@britco-78 wrote:

I was on the web and when I click print label it just gave me the label to print and said it was shipped, and I think it took the fees from my funds, I don't know if they were available funds or total funds. I wasn't ready to ship it, I voided the label and created a new one the next day. It says under all my activity that the label was purchased twice and I had got charged a little for not having enough funds. Why are my available funds negative and my on hold funds are the same amount but they are not negative? And will I get a refund for the label I voided?(it says I purchased a label twice under all my activity on the purchase)

Now for your question about voiding labels. You will be charged upfront for each label and have to wait for a refund on the void. It's not instant because the carrier wants to make sure the label isn't used. Here's some general info on reprint and void:

To reprint a label purchased through eBay (or download a copy of a QR code through the reprint function), go to this page, find the order and select Reprint from the Actions drop-down. The reprint option is available for 7 days.

To void a shipping label purchased through eBay, go to this page, find the order and select Void from the Actions drop-down. The void option is available for 5 days.

It takes between 2-4 weeks to receive a refund on an unused, voided label. You'll see the refund on your original source of payment (bank, credit card, etc) and the funds will appear in your account without an email notification.

Printed eBay Standard Envelope labels are non-refundable and cannot be voided.

eBay International Standard Delivery labels are not charged to your account until they are used, so there is no void option.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Are my available funds negative because they used all my funds for the shipping and I am still on hold for the same amount of funds. I already got the refund on my card for the tiny funds I was insufficient of.  Will my on hold funds have an affect on my available funds? Did my available funds go negative because I have on hold funds and they could use them but they were still on hold? Would it just be half the price that I'm negative if I would have only printed one label? And will eBay put the funds back on my account for the extra label that I printed? It shows that I have two labels, the first one says I requested to void it and the second one says in transit but when I click on the one I requested to void, it says requested to void but I can still click on it and its updating the tracking info exactly the same way the one that says in transit is.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Well I just realized that was a mistake, I haven't received my refund back on my card yet, I overlooked it.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply