cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vinyl Sellers Need an Education in Grading

Have bought several Lp's lately that the seller had marked VG.  Mostly junk when received.  Not worth sending back.  Vinyl sellers!!! Learn to grade properly.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

That's why reading feedback is so important. Also, if you buy something that's graded poorly you should leave feedback stating such. 

Also, lots of buyers are clueless to appropriate grading as well. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

to be frank, and you won't want to hear this, but VG is as marginal a grade as any reputable seller is going to put up on eBay.  "VG" is a record that has a lot of scuffs and hairlines and may even have scratches.  I don't know what you were expecting with that grade.  Here is the industry standard definition of a "Very Good" graded record.  It's not what you think it is:

Very Good (VG)
Many of the imperfections found on a VG+ record are more obvious on a VG record. That said, VG records — which usually sell for no more than 25 percent of a NM record — are among the biggest bargains in record collecting, because most of the “big money” goes for more perfect copies. For many listeners, a VG record or sleeve will be worth the money.

VG records have more obvious flaws than their counterparts in better shape. They lack most of the original gloss found on factory-fresh records. Groove wear is evident on sight, as are light scratches deep enough to feel with a fingernail. When played, a VG record has surface noise, and some scratches may be audible, especially in soft passages and during a song’s intro and ending. But the noise will not overpower the music otherwise.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I always used the Goldmine grading scale for both the vinyl and the cover. If in doubt about a seller, ask them what their standards are, and do not be shy about using the MBG if they are not being quite truthful.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

"Not worth sending back."

So you are willing to allow that seller to get away with this?  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Feedback is voluntary. No one is required to leave it. 
Buyers can only receive positive feedback. Not all sellers will have had a positive experience. 
I would not have responded to your feedback about those garments not fitting your wife. 

Those comments tell me all I need to know. 
Thanks for posting. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If it's not worth sending back, it's not worth complaining about. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

My sibling also want that, thanks for that. 

Filly Bond
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

What does that even mean? 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

VG = bargain bin, usually.  Fine if you want a starter collection,  but not much else.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I hate the rating system and refuse to use it. I describe the issues verbally in detail with pictures and let the bidder decide if they want to buy it. My idea of Mint and yours may be on two different planets. Also opens sellers up to refund scams by shady buyers.  I very rarely use Mint or Near Mint even if its a new unopened record.  I've had one record returned in 5 years so I'll just keep on doing things my way.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I think it have a strong aversion to the rating system and prefer to provide detailed verbal descriptions and pictures when selling items, such as records, allowing potential buyers to make their own judgments, despite the subjective nature of condition ratings. Your approach has resulted in minimal returns, reinforcing your decision to continue doing things your way.

Filly Bond
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

NM is fine to use - if it truly is.  I’ve listed plenty of records with that grading - never a complaint.  Vinyl buyers are great - unusual to encounter a difficult one.  

And, yes, NM is subjective.  Most experienced buyers can get a quick read on how well a seller grades.  I’ve seen some obvious damage on NM listings, EX’s that should be VG’s, etc..

Message 13 of 13
latest reply