cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay motors scam

There is a person posing as an eBay Motors representative for a car posted on craigslist, she is selling a Honda EXL 2013 with 73 K miles for $3199.... BEWARE. They use eBay motors to say pay deposit first before shipping it to your house for evaluation in 3 days, then keep for 5 days and then respond after with a transportation cost which the person who is selling can't pay for due to eBay motors policy. Watch out for these guys. They use the cards immediately and then wipe it out, but you should contact police and get a report set up so they can chase them down. The purchases with gift cards can be traced to the address of items bought by these scammers. Report and good luck on catching these guys.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay motors scam

Posting here is not going to help anyone, but thank you for the effort. The best thing is to use the report button and let whatever site the ad was posted on know. I see and report a lot of them on Facebook.

The only people that see these posts are people looking to get help with a problem or other buyers and sellers trying to help them. 

Because of the number of ads on eBay, they aren't monitoring other sites for people posting scam ads. Good thing you caught it, many don't then come here to get help, which no one here or at eBay can help them get restitution when they lose their money. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

eBay motors scam

Do you really believe that the PD will "chase them down"?

The police cannot trace the purchases with gift cards to the addresses of the scammers.

And probably wouldn't anyway due to manpower issues.

Please reassure us that you did not fall for this scam.

And be sure to report it to CL.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

eBay motors scam

We've been reading the same stories for over 20 years.  I wish that this board would BAN discussions of scams.

That's all that goes on here.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

eBay motors scam

My wish is the exact opposite of yours.

I am glad this Board has these messages.  Am especially happy when the person about to be scammed comes here and asks before they through with the transaction.

And sad when someone comes here and inquires AFTER they have bought the gift cards and sent the numbers to the scammer.  It's quite often the person who can least afford the loss. 

The car deal scammers are lower than the scum of the earth. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

eBay motors scam

I call them a willing victim if they were scammed.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply