cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold a vintage car now I'm being harassed!!

So, I sold my husband vintage car through e-bay motors. The description, we felt, was very accurate & honest. The buyer, from the very beginning, was hard to contact & deal with, he is in a different state as well. He started complaining the day it was picked up, by a shipper. Today he has e-mailed me twice demanding his money back plus all shipping to and from. He never asked, not one question about the car, not one. Now he is full of threats of suing me over it. He bought it a month ago & just had the car picked up Thursday. I will not refund anything. I feel it was his responsibly to ask any specific questions about a 50 year old car, in great shape I might add. 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sold a vintage car now I'm being harassed!!

I wouldnt worry about it.It sounds like you gave a good description of the car.The guy just sounds like a cheapskate and is trying to squeeze you for money.ITS A USED CAR! what do you want? My father in law used to run a small car action in Sandford Flordia.When he sold a car and it crossed the block he would say if you get it home and it breaks in two you own both pieces.LOL. Good luck with this guy.Bruce.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

As much as I'd like to agree with you, reality is a bit different. He may have no case at all but still force her into defending a law suit that would be costly and stressful which is why many suits are filed. In the end it don't matter if they can prove anything if it cost the to much to defend you lose anyway not mention.
Example, I was sued by someone that did an illegal act and then used the court system to extort me and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. It cost me well over 100k and I could've just paid the 10K he was suing for. I believed the same things your talking about until then .
Message 17 of 40
latest reply

I'm sorry for being the one here to give a different opinion, I do agree with you, feel your not wrong but I'd caution you to doing something like blocking or ignoring him, some people are sue happy and just looking for an excuse to sue, they don't have to prove anything since it could cost you more to fight it than you got for the car. It's a form of extorsion that I've exp. and believe me there is no justice in our justice system. I'd also be carefull about writing things like " he had buyers remorse the day he bought it" it could be used against you. I wouldn't give any $ back or offer to pay anything or accept the car back but I would be polite and respond quickly making it clear you followed all laws and don't want to be in a law suit but do have a good lawyer if that's what it comes down to .( even if you don't have one) Don't write anything admitting to anything he can twist into making you look fraudulant. The courts are full of people using the system to extort $ from people even when they can't win the suit, it doesn't matter if they can prove anything. It only matters if you can afford to fight it, or be willing to deal with the stress. I'm sorry if I seem bitter but I'm trying to help. Good luck with it how ever you decide to handle it. 

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

@deezee30269 wrote:
As much as I'd like to agree with you, reality is a bit different. He may have no case at all but still force her into defending a law suit that would be costly and stressful which is why many suits are filed. In the end it don't matter if they can prove anything if it cost the to much to defend you lose anyway not mention.
Example, I was sued by someone that did an illegal act and then used the court system to extort me and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it. It cost me well over 100k and I could've just paid the 10K he was suing for. I believed the same things your talking about until then .

Ain't gonna happen in a case like this.

No lawyer would touch it, unless paid up-front; and no one is going to spend thousands of dollars on a case that they would surely lose, over a $16K car, which may have a few blemishes. Not worth anyone's time or money.

If they were to go the Small Claims route, even if they filed in their own state and won by default, the judgment would be uncollectible in the OP's state- and even if they filed in OP's state and were willing to travel there multiple times, again, unless they could prove intentional fraud- that the OP KNEW of some major defect AND intentionally took actions to cover it up, the buyer would lose the suit anyway.

A long-time friend of mine was actually taken to court a few years ago over a car he sold on Ebay (The buyer was in the same state)- My friend literally did not even have to speak in court- Judge basically laughed the plaintiff out of court, explaining that a 30 year-old car is sold as-is, and that it is his sole responsibility to inspect it before purchHeck, ifasing, and that as long as he got the car and a legit title, he got as much as he could expect to get.  (And it was funny, because the guy was suing over some very minor things on a nice car- he had actually driven the car to court!)

Heck, if OP's buyer were threatening to sue me, I'd try and provoke him! Make him mad and see if I couldn't get him to waste his time and money on some frivolous suit. You can in-turn sue for people bringing frivolous law suits and for harassment. But just seeing the guy waste his time and money would be good sport! 

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

I fully agree with legitimate bidder. After working for some car dealers I've had to go into court a few times when some yo-yo sued over what they felt was an egregious act on the part of the dealer.

(I worked in service as a mechanic and shop foreman so I went as an expert witness.)

In every case the yo-yo lost and the cases were  over in 7 or 8 minutes. Any plaintiff who shows up in court irritated/combative/loud mouthed/surly/ or snarky is going to be dead meat inside of a minute.

In the case of the OP it amazes me that someone would shell out 16 grand for a '67 Mustang which is only shown in a few very shadowy pictures.

It's said the guy is in the next state over so for 16 grand he should have made a road trip to lay eyes on the car itself before bidding.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

Rip, I'll bet the buyer is a younger guy, 'cause it sounds like the Snowflake Generation. They just do what they feel and then expect the nanny state to pick up the pieces for their own lack of responsibikity.

Then again, "young" can be subjective. Ic was in Lowe's yesterday, and this employee who was passing by says "Hey there, young man!". I said "You must be mistaking me for someone else, I'm an old phart!". 😄

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

I agree with that Rip. I mean who in there right mind would by a car like that.  No questions! I just can't imagine buying a car that way. Didn't even ask for under carriage pictures!. I would have asked for that before I went to look at in in person.

It's either just another numpty who wants to blame some one else for his lack of due diligence or some thing more sinister.  I find it hard to believe that they made that purchase on that listing without a question, requesting pictures or a personal visit with out having some sort motive.

Please don't take this the wrong way op but you may have been intentionaly targeted because of your inexperience at selling cars on EBay. I have no other explanation why some one would do such a thing. Buy the car first and then use every scare tactic in the book to get the price down. Jusy my opinion!

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

At least you weren't a seller at a military base with ebay handling your transaction (inside joke)......

$16,000 sounds fair for that Mustang.  That being said, $16,000 also tells me its not perfect and I would expect it to not be perfect.  I also would of asked a lot of questions before plunking down $16,000.  My biggest concern would of been the metal on the car (frame, floor, etc.) because that could be expensive to fix and most Mustangs I've seen have had a lot of rust issues (I'm also East of the "Rust Belt" so most old cars have rust issues).

I work for a restoration shop and anyone buying a classic car or a muscle car has to expect something wrong with these cars.  You should really do your homework before jumping into buying a classic car and know what the costs of repairing these are.  

Your buyer should of really spent a few hundred to fly to you and inspect the car.

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

Your right, I have never sold a car to an individual before. So I put the description my husband had me to type in. He owned the car for over 20 years and the description was accurate and honest, he really didn't want to sell it, but life happens.  It had been stored for about 9 yrs.  I am quite ready for the buyer to leave me alone. 

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

I expected questions, he bought after it was listed for less than 10 minutes. I was totally shocked and suspicious, I deposited the check, even though I asked for a cashiers check, I even waited for 10 days before drawing on it. It was a whole month before he had it picked up. 

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

Thank you, I havn't responded to any of his negative threats. I feel the same. I'd rather say nothing at all then to blurt out anything that could be used against me. 

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Thank you for your input. I really don't want to make anyone mad. I'd be just happy if he would go away!!

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

My picture were terrible, I took them on my I Pad, that is why I expected questions.  I am in another state, several states away in fact.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

Shoehog83, the fault is not yours. It's all on the buyer. The main thing is just don't lose sleep over that clown.

Idle threats are very common. Very, very  little ever comes of it. Just ignore them. At some point it may soak in the problem was them.

It's a 50 year old car and unless advertised as a frame off restoration any 50 year old car is going to have a few warts. Of course a '67 convertible having gone through a frame off will be bringing way more than 16k.

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

@wilsongreendsigns wrote:

I expected questions, he bought after it was listed for less than 10 minutes. I was totally shocked and suspicious, I deposited the check, even though I asked for a cashiers check, I even waited for 10 days before drawing on it. It was a whole month before he had it picked up. 

Ah-HAAaaa!!!! There's his problem! If he jumped on it that fast, he was thinking "oooo! Oooo! This is a $30K car and it's only $16K I will swoop in, being the superior intelligent specimen that I am, and purchase it, and then resell it and make myself a cool $14K for doing absolutely nothing! Piece-O-cake!".

Then he gets it, and realizes it is a $16K car.......

THAT is the only reason I could see for someone jumping on it so fast and not even asking any questions or anything. I've been listing vehicles here for c. 13 years for my employer, and in all that time, we've never sold a vehicle in ten minutes!

He thought he won the lottery. Reality hit, and he realized that he just got what he paid for, but he still wants the lottery at your expense!

Message 30 of 40
latest reply