cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment through the site

I have completed a car purchase transaction and the payment remains, but I would like to pay via the site.
please inform me

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Payment through the site

@ad.3615 

A best way to pay for a vehicle transaction would be to bring cash when one goes to inspect the vehicle. If you can’t inspect it yourself, hire someone local to the vehicle to inspect it before full payment is sent. 

No one ships vehicles for free. the car market it hot right now, and not for buyers.

There is no reason a legitimate transaction would need to be shipped anywhere. There are local buyers willing to pay above market value in some cities. Why would they sell you a $5600 car for $1200? and throw in free shipping (both ways if the buyer changes their mind)?

Shipping one way would eat a majority of that $1200.

Look for something locally that you can meet the seller, test drive the vehicle, look under the hood, check the fenders. 

It’s the internet, trust no one. Don’t give your email or phone number to anyone who asks. Not just on eBay, but every day. Use the eBay messaging system to communicate with your trading partner. 

eBay doesn’t have invoice numbers, but there is a 12 digit eBay item number.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Payment through the site

Why do I think this is all a scam??

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

If you found a car on say Facebook or any were else than eBay: and some one said that eBay is handling the sale:

YOU have been LIED to.

eBay does only eBay nothing else.

If they whant you to pay with gift cards; is a SCAM and they are out to steal : or have stolen from you.

Does any of what I just said fit what is going on???

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

This is an important question:  Did you actually find this car listed for sale on eBay with an eBay item number?

Either come back and offer more information or at least do not pay until we have determined whether or not you've been scammed.

Hint:  If you found this listed on another site, it's a well known scam.  eBay has nothing to do with any item offered for sale on any other site, even if the seller tells you that you'll be protected by eBay.

And eBay Motors sales don't work the way you are describing

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

If you found a listing here, you can pay here. If you found a car on another website and that person has directed you to eBay, then you have probably been scammed. DO NOT PAY any of your money to a scammer. Glad you asked here first.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

@ad.3615 

Hope you didn't pay for the car using gift cards.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

The OP is new and just signed up today and has no idea how eBay works, have no idea why you would think that.

The good news is that the OP evidently has not yet paid and maybe has not yet bought the gift cards, so there is light at the end of that tunnel.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

@soh.maryl wrote:

The OP is new and just signed up today and has no idea how eBay works, have no idea why you would think that.

The good news is that the OP evidently has not yet paid and maybe has not yet bought the gift cards, so there is light at the end of that tunnel.  

If they show back up >>> hope they do before........

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

Go to My eBay Purchase History, your order will be there. The ORDER NUMBER is hyphenated.  So that's a red flag you might have a fake invoice.

Underneath the title there's a number in parenthesis. That is the item number. Does it require a down payment?  

I ask because down payments and PayPal payments on vehicles  are not eligible for buyer protection.  I would figure you would want to pay in cash in person after you inspected and test driven it because vehicles can't be returned if it's not as described.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

@ad.3615 

A best way to pay for a vehicle transaction would be to bring cash when one goes to inspect the vehicle. If you can’t inspect it yourself, hire someone local to the vehicle to inspect it before full payment is sent. 

No one ships vehicles for free. the car market it hot right now, and not for buyers.

There is no reason a legitimate transaction would need to be shipped anywhere. There are local buyers willing to pay above market value in some cities. Why would they sell you a $5600 car for $1200? and throw in free shipping (both ways if the buyer changes their mind)?

Shipping one way would eat a majority of that $1200.

Look for something locally that you can meet the seller, test drive the vehicle, look under the hood, check the fenders. 

It’s the internet, trust no one. Don’t give your email or phone number to anyone who asks. Not just on eBay, but every day. Use the eBay messaging system to communicate with your trading partner. 

eBay doesn’t have invoice numbers, but there is a 12 digit eBay item number.

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

Never mind,,,you just joined eBay today, therefore, I'm pretty sure you're dealing with a scammer who listed a fraudulent ad on a non eBay site and they told you eBay was handling the transaction. They're trying to steal gift cards or prepaid credit cards.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

Has anyone noticed that the OPs with the most interesting problems never come back? Why is that do you think?  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

we cannot help you if you do not return to view the posted comments/advice,etc and give us any additional details that would confirm what we all suspect= you are most likely looking at a  SCAM!

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

Thank you for the nice reply and explanation

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Payment through the site

Thank you all

Message 15 of 17
latest reply