cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid deposit on a buy-it-now car auction; seller doesn't have the title

Sort of a weird situation.

Paid the $500 buy-it-now deposit. Contacted the seller. He lets me know that he lost the title in a move and filed for a replacement title a few weeks back. He said I could buy the car for $18k, and send the other $12k when he mails me the title (huge risk on his part if it isn't stollen/scam). 

I told him I wasn't willing to do that, and I would want to wait on the title. He said that was fine, but made vague mention that "three people want to do pre-purchase inspections" this weekend. When I asked what he meant by that, he said he wasn't sure. I pressured him more on it and he never gave me a straight answer on what he meant (we all know).

This whole thing feels weird. If I show up and buy this car and it turns out the title never shows up (needed in my state), would eBay protect me, given that this vehicle is under 10 years old? 

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Paid deposit on a buy-it-now car auction; seller doesn't have the title

The seller is making you wait by making up a story about the title.  He is hoping that someone else is going to pay more and that's the reason for the delay.

Report the situation to eBay and request that the deposit be returned since seller is unable to complete the sale.  Do all of this in writing.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply