cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery vintage "Autoscope" car part- does anyone recognize these? for what type of car?

Hi everyone, 

My father acquired several of these autoscopes many years ago when his hobby was fixing up cars. He can't remember now where, how, or why he got them. There is no date on the instructions or the part. 

They appear to be some kind of part to expand your rearview viewing area? I have no idea what year of car or type of car they are for. 

I've scoured the internet and I don't see them anywhere except one on ebay for $600 but that seller really doesn't know what they are either, has sold none, and I think is assuming the value is high because he perceives them to be "rare." I highly doubt they are worth $600 (?). 

Anyone familiar with this? 

Thank you!!11EE9ED4-48C3-418A-8EB9-69F450C90C41_1_201_a.jpeg81D46832-84B5-4C1F-B1E9-8FB0A0F01DE3.jpegautoscope.jpg 🙏

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Mystery vintage "Autoscope" car part- does anyone recognize these? for what type of ca

Aftermarket, fit in the back window of car in order to give a better view of what's behind the car.   I found a 1939 Popular Mechanics that had an ad in the back for one.  Cost $1.50 new!

content.jfif

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Mystery vintage "Autoscope" car part- does anyone recognize these? for what type of ca

Incredible detective work, thank you!

should I assume they were created around that time, 1939?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply