cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic vehicle title status in listing

I see listings where the specifications say the title status is "clean", and also I understand sometimes title status "not specified". But then listings can say "clean title" but have a description that includes words to the effect of "bill of sale only" - I'm confused because most folks want to buy only vehicles with a legitimate title, without wading through a 2000 word description to learn otherwise. I don't even want to bid on a vehicle without legal title status - might be stolen.

In my state you cannot even scrap a vehicle without a title.

Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

First I would be worried about a buyer that did not read the description! The title information is added in the same place as other information like VIN number etc. If you are worried about them having to wade through the whole thing, make it the first thing they read or add to title of listing. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

yes, title status, VIN, mileage, model, etc all are pretty critical to the value of the vehicle. If somebody represented a car as a Bel Air in the specifications, and then later in a long-winded description said "actually a Biscayne", I would think that's not right.

And if I won that auction, and then afterwards noticed the discrepancy,  I would feel misled.

Kinda like what Scam Bunkum-Fraud did recently to the Dems

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It depends upon whether you are referring to "title" in the legal sense (ownership) or the piece of paper.  In some states, like Alabama and Georgia, they no longer issue titles on vehicle older than certain model years of age.  So, while you may have clear legal claim to the vehicle, you are NEVER and I repeat NEVER going to get the state to issue a title.  If they do by mistake, they will immediately void the issuance of a title.

As a former dealer, I had a disclaimer in listings for older vehicles so that the buyer understood that while I had a legal claim, the vehicle came from a state that does not issue titles.

Keep in mind that these states do not work with each other either.  I have had people buy vehicles, take them to their home state and demand a title.  Even when explaining the origin of the vehicle, and the former state not issuing titles, the DMV in that state insisted they needed a title.  I had a customer get an order from a judge in one instance to be able to get a title in their state.

The issue is that we should have a national standard for vehicle titles and registration, but we don't .  The concept of "state's rights" gives each state the ability to do what they want.

Most of the arrogance about these titles comes from northern states and I'm laughing now as people exit those tax-laden rust holes and move south where the livin' is easy and the taxes are low.  They never saw that coming.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply