Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorcyclists Roll to Soldiers' Funerals

skyrider*4*ever
Thrill-Seeker
By RYAN LENZ

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (Feb. 21) - Wearing vests covered in military patches, a band of motorcyclists rolls around the country from one soldier's funeral to another, cheering respectfully to overshadow jeers from church protesters.

The rest of the story, in post 2, so ya don't have to scroll by a long post!

Message 1 of 486
latest reply
485 REPLIES 485

bazango
Guide
What makes you guess that, eag? ?:|
Message 256 of 486
latest reply

oldredchopper
Trailblazer
Which one, jeez its so blurred they all look alike,

maybe I need new glasses.?:|
Message 257 of 486
latest reply

oldredchopper
Trailblazer
No way Southern, Im sure Baz is older than that young guy.:-)
Message 258 of 486
latest reply

bazango
Guide
And much better-lookin.
Message 259 of 486
latest reply

Sorry to hear about the bike Trident, Hope you get it off the road soon, and then back on the road. You are doing a fine thing there!
Message 260 of 486
latest reply

oldredchopper
Trailblazer
Hiya Baz,

Tri, woman have more padding naturally,

I, Oldredchopper, didnt say that, just for the record.
Message 261 of 486
latest reply

Well, we're leaving shortly to go retrieve it. It's 120 miles away.

Here's my pic file from yesterday's mission.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZMmLJq0ZMmLoQ
Message 262 of 486
latest reply

bazango
Guide
Good shot of trident in there. Ha. :^O
Message 263 of 486
latest reply

*southerneagle*
Trailblazer
Good luck on your retrieval ride Tri.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Message 264 of 486
latest reply

Trade that rig in on a Victory. They NEVER have trans problems......He He He. LOL
Sorry about your Venture, Tri. Bummer to the max, dude. Too bad I wasn't there, I coulda thrown you a bunjie and we woulda towed it. You pass me, I pass you...you pass me, I pass you, u-know, the sling shot effect.
Is it the clutch or more serious? ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffk.
Message 265 of 486
latest reply

skyrider*4*ever
Thrill-Seeker
Hoping for a report from him by Morning!

Hopefully BFE isn't like the West Coast, You park anything on the freeway , within 3 hours, it is basically a frame!

They even steal your oil!:O
Message 266 of 486
latest reply

bazango
Guide
Nah. Here, somebody might stop by and repair it for you. 😛

There's a bumper sticker: "Am I in heaven, or is this just Iowa?"

Folks are nice. Place sux.
Message 267 of 486
latest reply

Hoping Trident made it home with the Venture...

Thanks for all the well wishes! Just getting up here after a long, somewhat humorous, couple of days, as far as the traveling.

I left Wednesday morning at about 5:30 am. Two other riders, including our PG ride captain, I found out later, left about 6:15. I stopped after about 120 miles for a leisurely breakfast, and came out of the Perkins to find storm clouds moving through in the distance ahead. I went about another 40 miles and stopped under an overpass to put on my rain suit and watch the storm, which was now just ahead. Six additonal bikes went by to two different groups, all slowing down to see if I was okay. I found them all under the next overpass six miles down the road, soaking wet, struggling to put their rain suits on! We then rode as a group to to I-35, where we got hit by a torrential straight down wall of water just as we hit the on ramp. Some made it off at the first exit, I got off a the second, and waited out the storm.

Finally, after about 45 minutes, I took off again, and soon found myself behind a line of slow moving cars in a one lane road construction area. I could see two bikes at the head of the line. Finally out of the construction, the traffic rapidly passed these two bikes, and I soon recognized the Road King of our ride captain and the other rider from my area ! Finally got to Iowa Falls where Baz had been waiting, perfectly dry, for an hour or so. 90 bikes in all showed up for this mission, about half were nice and shiny, the other half full of road grime from the rain.
Message 269 of 486
latest reply

After the mission, the three of us were to meet at a gas station to connect up for the ride home, but because bikes were parked at different areas at the small cemetary, no one knew where anyone else was, and we didn't find each other, but I did find Baz parked by the side of the road, watching the bikes go by. I think he jinxed me when he complimented me on my restoration of the Venture.

Got back up to a big truck stop at I/35 and I/90, where I parked the Venture overlooking the freeway, 'just in case' someone would spot it, and stopped for supper. Sure enough, who walks in but the ride caption, (gaspasser is his handle, btw) having spotted the Venture.

So off we go for about 20 miles. We had just passed a semi on I 90, and were still in the left lane. I was riding lead with the cruise control set right at 70 mph, when all of a sudden the rear tire chirped, then the engine revved and the most horific sound came from someplace below. Tapping the brakes brought the engine revs back down when the cruise control released, the semi went roaring by in the right lane, and I arm signalled and cut diagonally across the right lane behind the semi to the very wide shoulder, and coasted to a stop, luckily, right by an overpass. Gaspasser pulled up behind me and said something to the effect, "What the 'l was that?!" having seen the tire smoke and then heard the noise.
Message 270 of 486
latest reply