cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

Anybody remember Them I bought quite a few Bikes from him
He was a Friend & I even worked for him for a couple of Years.
Live..Learn..and Die a Fool!

Photobucket
Message 1 of 122
latest reply
121 REPLIES 121

Re: Any body Remember Ghost Motorcycle Sales Port Washington NY

Yes, Sal was a great guy and would always help a biker in need. He would always find parts for my Vincent Black Shadow in the early 60'

Message 76 of 122
latest reply

huxnumber1
Enthusiast

I think I bought motorcycle boots from Ghost in 1955 or 1956 when I was in HS. He was on the corner of Port Washington Blvd and Main Street then. He must have moved at least twice after that. I remember him being on the corner of Madison and Main also, very close to where I grew up and went to grade school..

I knew nothing about motorcycles then. I spit shined my motorcycle boots. I have a Victiory Vegas now, but have never shined my current boots.

Huxley

Message 77 of 122
latest reply

brun411
Enthusiast

WOW. talk about memories. I was just talking with some friends about this. I bought my first bike there a Moto Guzzi traded it later for a car and then some. What a place acres of good stuff.

Message 78 of 122
latest reply

sarajay11050
Enthusiast

There's another site for GHOST. Sale's was GHOST MOTORCYCLES. REPAIRS GHOST CYCLES.  There is a site called save GHOST CYCLES.  I'm looking for pitures of Barry and Terry racing against each other. I can't find the picture and article race at grummums air filed on long island the article was in a long island motorcycle magazine around 1965 My father liked putting more than one of his racers in the race.

Message 79 of 122
latest reply

hoody_ct
Enthusiast

Bought my first bike from him in 1964, (I think) a Ducati. I was just 16,still riding today, not the same bike of course, but been riding ever since, Great memories, Port Washington was a million miles from Astoria.Or at least it seemed.

Message 80 of 122
latest reply

hoody_ct
Enthusiast

Bought my first bike from him in 1964, (I think) a Ducati. I was just 16,still riding today, not the same bike of course, but been riding ever since, Great memories, Port Washington was a million miles from Astoria.Or at least it seemed.

Message 81 of 122
latest reply

bobohoyt
Enthusiast

My Dad was Sal Defeo's lawyer back in the 70's. He defended  all of Sal's lawsuits against him as my father told me he was the biggest snake he had ever met. My dad also handled his divorce & I remember him telling me that he regretted how he destroyed Sal's wife and her attorney as my Dad did very well for Sal.

Sal couldn't even afford to pay my father's fees--so my dad took it out in trade--Moto Guzzis',  Norton Commando, BMW with a sidecar, Ducatti, Dune Buggy and on and on.

Yes, the shop was down in the basement and I used to love going there as it was a cool place to hang out.

Message 82 of 122
latest reply

themediabuyer5
Enthusiast

First off , Sal is a great guy and people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw  stones as evidenced by your super negative ebay feedback record!!

Message 83 of 122
latest reply

Anybody have a picture of the old store taken back in the day.??

....hard to believe they were there all those years and I can't find one photo of it on the internet...

Message 84 of 122
latest reply

ctimp1112
Enthusiast

I am a younger generation but love vintage motorcycle ware.  I currently live in Port Washington and have a 2011 Fatboy.  Would love to sport a Ghost tee Shirt.  I have seen some ware them around town.  So, if anyone has any idea on how to get one I would live to get one.

Message 85 of 122
latest reply

mrmusmus
Enthusiast

i was cycling down mainstreet yesterday evening and saw sal sitting in front of the original ghost building selling ghost tshirts and hoodies!  we chatted for a long time.. he's trying to find a building in town to open up shop again!   they're still working on bikes at the original building, just under the radar.

Message 86 of 122
latest reply

jjlobell
Enthusiast

I grew up in Great Neck in the 50s and spent time at Ghost.  Never bought a bike there, but got my first BMW in Germany, and when I brought it home, a drove it over to Ghost to have them do minor repairs and ship it to Phily where I was going to college.

These memories are a great memorial to Sal (hope he is still alive) -- I remember his dad as well.

Message 87 of 122
latest reply

gixer2
Enthusiast

Wow

Its kind of crazy to hear all these nice things.   Every one I know didnt like them.  They were over priced and sold bikes that were junk.  its very strang to read all these posts.  Glad you guy had good dealings with them v 

Message 88 of 122
latest reply

grammamaz
Enthusiast

Yes! I bought my first motorcycle in either 1956 or 1957, a 650cc BSA, from Sal. I talked with him a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to find that he is alive and kicking at 86, as well as still working.

(My name is Jon from Tucson AZ. Grammamaz is my wife's Ebay name.)

Message 89 of 122
latest reply

snowshrike
Enthusiast

Ghost used to loan motorcycles to a long-vanished motorcycle magazine in the 60s for tests.   

Message 90 of 122
latest reply