cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Time to reach into the knowledge banks.. What's the best method for modelling concrete and asphalt whether it be for a retaining wall or road pavement or sidwalks? Books are expensive here in Canada so I'm hesitant in buying a book for one section of interest. However if there is a good book out there that covers the above requested and other great scenery tips then I would perhaps buy it. Dave the Burlington Canadian guy...I mean Burlington Northern
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Concrete/Asphalt effects

DL, There are a ton of methods and materials for this purpose. WS makes a plaster product called Smooth-It for streets and sidewalks. Their kit comes with some foam tape to use as a guide for the edges. There is also good old hydrocal poured in between forms at the road/sidewalk edges. What ever plaster you use, it will have to be painted. Roads can also be made from painted cardboard or styrene. Asphalt can be represented by sandpaper, AMI instant roadbed, or painted plaster. The best one book I can recommend for just about total scenery coverage is "Realistic Scenery, 2nd Edition" by Dave Frary. A Kalmbch publication. The WS manual is good too for their products. There is so much to this subject that we could write a few books. Pete
Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Thanks Pete. That's enough to get me looking the right direction. Dave
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

CJ, What books did I send you that could help out here? We need titles. Pete
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Dad, I'll look through some books, and give the title and author. It will take me a few days, as I am in the middle of a water pump change on the IROC. It went out on me during the return trip from Binghamton, NY. I have it all painted up and ready to install, I'll put it on in the morning, it has to be done for two car shows this weekend. I also have to get a couple of estimates done on my Cougar, a ten year old with wonderful foul ball aim, parked a baseball on the sunroof, and the car was moving at the time! It's a good thing I didn't have the convertible or I would be getting an estimate on Deidre's skull! Busy, busy man here, but I'll get on it ASAP! CJ (in need of four more arms)
Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Here are some books and their authors for you Dave, and anyone else interested in some great literature on model railroading. The best is the one that Dad already mentioned, it is "How To Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery 2nd Edition" by Dave Frary "303 Tips For Detailing Model Railroad Scenery And Structures" by Dave Frary and Bob Hayden "222 Tips For Building Model Railroad Structures" by Dave Frary "N Scale Model Railroad That Grows" by Kent Wood and Ric LaBan "Building City Scenery For Your Model Railroad" by John Pryke "Scenery Tips And Techniques" Model Railroad Handbook No. 26 "N Scale Primer A Beginners Guide To N Scale Model Railroading" by Russ Larson (this book is a must have) Hope I did y'all some good, CJ
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Can I have my books back now CJ? CodFadda
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

trmwf
Enthusiast
CJ A deal is a deal! I'd tell him to go fish, cod fish that is. Mike
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Speaking of concrete......you are a hard man Mike. I'd pay the shipping back for a few...... CodFadda
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Dad, Anything you need, let me know, I can scan it and send it to you. If you want the books, I'll send any of them you want. CJ PS. Indian Giver:-)
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

Lying Blackfoot. Or did you forget. :D CodFadda
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

I remember! ;) But you know I would give you the shirt off my back, it needs laundered anyhow! CJ
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

beastranger
Enthusiast
Nutz2u I saw your post in the other group about buildings. I don't know why Sam has such a hard time with the DPM buildings. The edges square up easily with a minimal amount of sanding and when painted look great. Just use a long sanding block on them. Look in the photo albums at some of Pete's wood buildings to see how they came out. They require a little more skill but can be worth the time and effort to build. Stick with us kid and we'll have Sam so jealous of YOUR layout he will be looking over your shoulder. ]:) Doug
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

I'll have to take some shots of my background buildings that I built from the DPM sectional pieces. CodFadda
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Concrete/Asphalt effects

trmwf
Enthusiast
Pete, Funny you bring that up. I HAVE been accused of being a hard fella but then no one said life was going to be soft. Really, I'm a pussycat. Mike
Message 15 of 22
latest reply