cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery "Recently viewed" push notifications

Over the past few days, I've received multiple push notifications for "Recently Viewed" items encouraging me to buy. Except they're for items I didn't recently view. I checked my account, and there is no record of me viewing them, so I don't think my account has been compromised, but I'm perplexed as to where this is coming from--they're not even related to things I *have* looked at. Has this been happening to anyone else? I'm not sure whether I should be concerned or just ignore it as a random bug.

I'm on iOS 16.5.1 if that makes any difference.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Mystery "Recently viewed" push notifications

I have seen many other similar complaints recently.

I suspect that a routine somewhere that matches viewed items to eBay messages is misfiring somehow and delivering incorrect item listings.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Dealing with something similar but with relisted items. I first received an email for a bike and today, a push notification for a figurine. Both listed in foreign currency, GBP and euros respectively. I haven't looked at either type of product on ebay since I started buying this month. Checked my recently viewed and notifications tab on the app and nothing mentioning either or anything close. I changed my pw proactively just in case but like you mentioned, I don't think my acct was compromised. Thinking it's just a bug but as a cyber security minded person, it's nagging at me haha

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Interesting--both of mine were GBP, and I'm in the U.S., although I do look at UK listings from time to time. No sports cars or music collectibles, though! It does seem like it's just gremlins in the system, especially since others are experiencing similar issues, but definitely best to be wary about anything out of the ordinary associated with online accounts these days.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

For sure! Now I'm currently dealing with a lack of notifications 🙃  I opened my app to see 8 offers I hadn't received a notification for. Hopefully whatever bug this is gets sorted asap. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I had the same thing happen and called the customer service line. They thought it was an issue with the website and said they're looking into it. I asked if it's a possible phishing scheme, and they advised that it could be if those same messages aren't in my messages inbox on eBay. They aren't, so I forwarded them to the suggested spoof@ebay.com email and received a reply that it likely didn't come from eBay. Then, I checked to see if any other messages in my email were also missing from the website messages page, and many messages that I know are from eBay were, in fact, missing. So I don't really know what to think...

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

How odd. I just received a push notification for the product I received an email for saying the listing was ending soon, but again no notification in my app. I'm not sure what to think either. Their explanation doesn't account for the random push notifications which probably can't be spoofed. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply