cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Reproduction" subcategory in militaria

Looking for input that I can send to FeeBay about the need for a Reproduction subcategory that needs to be added to the Militaria category.
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

daggerdenman
Enthusiast
A "Reproduction" subcategory is very much needed. I personally bid online in other venues, several of which have just that subcategory. I also belong to several online Forum's whose membership includes persons who have gotten to the point where a great portion of the dialogue is just about eBay and the fraudulent items that most members see right off but other, less knowledgeable "collectors" pay high, often exhorbitant prices for worthless fakes. I imagine eBay is flooded with complaints when the "truth is known." I myself, attempting to get a "bargain", instead got a worthless reproduction and the unscrupulous seller brought a "non payment" dispute on me when I complained to eBay bringing a dispute as to the misrepresentation of the item in the first place. EBay owes it's militaria collectors, of whom I think is a sizeable subgroup, the chance to have dealers and others who have reproduction items to so list them as such in a subcategory. It would benefit legitimate sellers and buyers as well. Just my thought but I believe valid! Regards, lloyd
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

They have a Reproductions category for Civil War Militaria. They desparately need this category for all Militaria, or 'Item Specifics' (for Antiques, you must specify Original/Repro, and then they caution you that articles listed as genuine must truly be genuine.)
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

kylemartin7787
Enthusiast
has anyone reconmended this to ebay? it is a very good idea and ebay really has no reason not to. tho they'd probably not listen who knows it's worth a shot. i personally don't buy a higher value item from any seller that doesn't have high feedback and guarentee it to be orginal either in the discription or when i ask.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

glass-salmon
Rising Star
GREAT idea, but how will you enforce it? That and someone or a program that weeds out incorrect category submissions
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I filed dozens of complaints to eBay about fake Japanese swords, including a letter to eBay's Vice President, and I am sure lots of other people complained as well. This is the message you now get when listing a sword under Antiques/Asian: Are you confident that the antique item you are listing is authentic? Are you aware that it is against eBay policy to sell fraudulent items? eBay reserves the right to remove any antique item that is believed to be inaccurately represented. eBay recommends that all antique sellers include in their listings all relevant information known about the item, including a clear image of the item and ALL information concerning any alterations that the seller believes may have been made. Please help us make eBay an even safer place to trade. By clicking the submit button, you are confirming that the item you are about to list is properly described and genuine.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

daggerdenman
Enthusiast
This is how my repro was advertised, "WW2 ORIGINAL RED WOOL CLOTH BAND WITH OAKLEAVES". I took this advise before getting it here, "i personally don't buy a higher value item from any seller that doesn't have high feedback and guarantee it to be orginal either in the discription or when i ask". The guy has a 100% positive feedback so I felt no need to ask. I think that as it turned out, it would have still been stated as "Original". THIS would be a fabulous thing to have eBay post,"Are you confident that the antique item you are listing is authentic? Are you aware that it is against eBay policy to sell fraudulent items?" THAT SOUNDS all well and good BUT it will only "remind" an Honest seller to remain just that, HONEST!I advised eBay that this was fraudulent and gave them the pertinent CA Penal Code section, all to no avail! One thing though, it sure would not hurt! "checkit", I know what you are talking about, "I filed dozens of complaints to eBay about fake Japanese swords". I collected Japanese swords when they were $70-75 for a decent piece. Now I see them from China with fake Hamon, etc. I sold off all my swords maybe 30-35 years ago. I would NOT want to get into them again. I would like to see, "Are you confident that the antique item you are listing is authentic? Are you aware that it is against eBay policy to sell fraudulent items?" Could we ALL come to a consensus here about this so that "der adler" can bring this to the "powers that be"? I'm for this or something very near. It CAN'T hurt! Regards, Lloyd
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

daggerdenman
Enthusiast
I just copied the "Square Trade" info from my old seller, here it is: "SquareTrade's Compliance group will investigate complaints made by buyers against a Seal Member for violation of these standards. If, in SquareTrade's sole opinion, a Seal Member is found to consistently violate these Standards and/or fail to act in a fair and ethical manner, their SquareTrade Seal membership may be suspended." Note that it states, "IS FOUND TO CONSISTANTLY VIOLATE THESE STANDARDS"! Once or twice that Sqaure Trade "knows about" any consistency isn't gonna do diddly squat so so some statement as above, "against eBay policy to sell fraudulent items" is a MUST! Wish there were more replies here. Oh well... LLoyd
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

knifefan0
Enthusiast
Well Gentlemen,, and Ladies, I'll throw in my 2cents worth. I'm all for starting a repro/fake category,, I'm not sure if feebay is though. If they think it will effect their bottom line in an adverse manner, you can bet they won't do it. I think that is their sole motivating force. The best example of their attitude, seems to be the way they ignore the chinese sellers sword marketing. Luckily, the descriptions of these sellers is easily recognizable, and most collectors never even look at their auctions. The more sophisticated sellers of illegitimate items are more crafty, or better liars/crooks. I'm not sure they wouldn't mind lieing to feebay too. So, getting them to confirm on a submit button on a questionnaire might not help. But, as daggerman says, " it can't hurt" What I would like to see is a more active forum of collectors, in which items of question are discussed. I'm not sure that can be accomplished here, or anywhere on feebay, but it would be nice. In conclusion, I heartily support all efforts that would lead to the removal or isolation, of all the fake and fantasy stuff that collectors have to deal with now. knifefano
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I would like to see an auction that is reported as being a reproduction moved to the reproduction category and the seller warned that listing in the wrong category may is a violation of the user agreement that FeeBay so blatantly misinterprets and that a future violation will result in the listing being pulled and the seller being suspended for 2 weeks. After being reinstated the seller will then be suspended for 6 months for the next violation and for the 3rd violation permanent suspension.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

knifefan0
Enthusiast
I pretty much agree with that, but I think there should be more than one complainant about the auction. I'm not sure how many, maybe 3 or 4. Otherwise you might have some other seller just trying to eliminate their competition. I'm not sure that doesn't occur now with the Third Reich items.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I have long suspected that it does.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

daggerdenman
Enthusiast
I personally think that all your thoughts are valid. I have found a site that I spend quite some time at, germandaggers.com. There are highly knowledgeable collectors there, you all might want to check it out. Oh yes, there is MORE than daggers BTW! Whatever is decided upon, you have my support, 100%! I know there is a heckuva lot of knowledge here too! I can see that in the posts! lloyd
Message 13 of 13
latest reply