cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trench art revisit. Is this German ordinance?

I posted a couple of day ago, with photos, about a trench art bookend.  A respondent (UncleKipsy) seems to think the shell casing were WWII vintage anti-aircraft.

I took some additional photos, and there seems to be a stylized eagle on the end.  Are these German ordinance. Photos attached.  Anyone?

The casing 26mm in diameter and about 6" long.

Thanks in advance for taking the time,

Mike

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Trench art revisit. Is this German ordinance?

I believe you're correct that it's German. After perusing 3 dozen or so images I believe it is FLAK (anti-aircraft) with the German Waffenampt stamp. I couldn't see the all the alpha-numerics (or Waffenampt stamp) on the base with the initial pics.  Might be : Stamp Punch WaA359  (??) 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The capital letter P is for, I think, Polte Armaturen - Maschinenfabrik AG, Magdeburg

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Put the "P" at the 12 position......at 3 position is "XVa" for the steel foundry for the case, at 6 position is "38" for year of manufacture and at the 9 position is"33c" which I believe is the batch number.

The case is steel with a copper wash. The size is going to be an educated guess.......20mm x 138mmB used in the 20mm Flak 38.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply