cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help Identifying Possible Pre WW1 USMC AGE Emblem/Medal

Hi All - I have what I believe is possibly a pre WW1 USMC AGE Emblem/Medal - From my research so far I believe this may be a 1916 issue specimen. I is different from everything I have seen because of the fixed back plate & the eagle wing design. Every other attribute of the piece indicates 1916 though. Any and all input is appreciated.

Many Thanks in Advance - Jim

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Need Help Identifying Possible Pre WW1 USMC AGE Emblem/Medal

Could be wrong but this looks like a watch chain fob or similar. Not likely an official Marines issued piece.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hate ta post that there are a ton of fake Eagle Anchor Globe (EAG) badges on da market.

Price fell from 100-150 ta 50 or less because of them. The backing suggests it was made inta
sum-thing else, watch fob, keychain etc.

Size matters. Is this supposed ta be a collar device or larger hat device?

Judging from da backside I'd guess 1 3/4" as a hat or helmet badge.

From yer pic, either alotta glare or ya got a big dent in there.

Way the USA part is either worn or just a fake. What's it made out of Bronze?

Just my thoughts, opinion an wunderin

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi & Thanks for the input so far. To address a couple of points, the emblem does measure at 1-3/4", it is Bronze, no dents on globe {Bad glare on pic, my fault}.

I also thought of watch fob, but the back plate is same material w/ same patina, so I believe it is original to the emblem. Also notice how the back plate is contoured to mirror the profile of the emblem. I also believe there is a threaded center post where the back plate was threaded, installed and then swaged to retain it. The upper edge of the backplate has a slot, I am thinking it was for a ribbon attachment.

I do not believe it to be faked or a replica as I recieved many USMC items of the same period from the same elderly consignor who said it was his fathers awards, etc, several of which I have currently listed for auction.

I am leaning towards it being a presentation ribbon to be worn on a pocket flap or possibly a converted watch fob possibly made by a Marine from a hat or helmet badge for personal use, a friend or relative. At any rate it seems consistent with a period piece, I have reviewed several USMC websites and I'll check there if anyone knows.

I really appreciate the input from those who took time to reply!

Jim

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Military Base Exchanges have been around fer 118 years.

Not uncommon ta find leftovers made inta sumthing else an sold at a base exchange.

Authorized for U.S.M.C. use in 1912.
Style changes included adding longitude lines (east-west) to existing latitude lines (north-south).
Regulations of 1920 were gilt finish and bronze screw back ornaments for collars, cap, hat and helmets
replaced WW-I collar disks having a standard EGA, with no rope.

'Droop-wing' eagles were authorized for officer and enlisted cap,
hat and collar devices on 25 May 1925
In 1936 'Droop-winged' emblems changed to straight wing ...
Longitude lines were also eliminated. 
It's the basic design of today's Marine emblem.

There are also many different manufactures fer Officers,
but when it was issue time WWI they were all identical.

Different makers changed things like eagle head tilt, different feather patterns in wings,
even a slight variation in wing design. Globes also had variations

Looks like Enlisted Service Hat Device Circa 1920-1925 from size an pics, posted, made inta sumthing
probably sold at da base exchange...

Not aware or see anything like that in an issued ribbon medal type award or device.

but it's...

Just my opinion

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks Indy - Much Appreciated - Jim
Message 6 of 6
latest reply