cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Machete Sword Knife? No markings but leather sheath help with identifying

Hello,

I really could use some help with identifying this item.  My opinion is it is a Knife with 15" curved heavy blade with leather sheath.  Possibly a machete.  Possibly military foreign or america I do not know.    I do not see any markings.  I think its old but how old I do not know.  My guess is 1900-1920.  Here are some photos.  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Here are some more photos

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

With no markings, it's not likely military. It could be from Central America or even the Philippines.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hello,

Yes I was thinking the same thing not U.S. Military or British, but thinking possibly a Philippines weapon which weren't marked.  I just thought it would be much more crude if that.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

It is, in fact, a U.S. Army Bolo knife. Used during the Span-Am War and at least through WWI by the Engineer Corps primarily. It was made by Collins & Co.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

hello,

thank you very much for the information.  Could you tell me why it is unmarked, or did the mark just wear off.  I assume there is some information online wear I can see examples I just have to search.  Again Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The info I've read said this variation was often not marked. Do a search for "Collins & Co. bolo knife" and quite a few sites will come up.

http://atkinson-swords.com/collection-by-region/the-americas/north-america/collins-bolo.html

Message 7 of 7
latest reply