cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

selling unmarked jewelry

Happy New year everyone. Here is my question. What is your best success rate in selling unmarked costume jewelry?  Putting items together in on listing? auction versus buy it now? I describe as detailed as I can and take many good pics of detail. As a buyer unmarked does not turn me off but I know what I am looking at. For many buyers I would think they would hesitate if an unmarked piece seems too high and they don't want to take a chance. Also, what is your opinion on a seller saying "this is --or could be--an unmarked Schriner (as an example). I have bought this way but I am hesitant to offer my opinion as a seller. Juliana comes to mind, but since they were never marked I have listed them as such with no problem because I know how they are constructed and with what. What say you?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

selling unmarked jewelry

Your thread would get more responses on the Jewelry board.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

selling unmarked jewelry

"What is your best success rate in selling unmarked costume jewelry?  Putting items together in on listing? auction versus buy it now?"

It probably depends on what you have - the qualify of the metal and stones, the subject matter, etc. @silverstatetreasureboxes can probably help you with some tips.

"Also, what is your opinion on a seller saying "this is --or could be--an unmarked Schriner (as an example)."

It is against eBay policy to say an item "might be" or list with a question mark. You can read more about it here: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/search-browse-manipulation-policy?id=4243

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

selling unmarked jewelry

@wastingtime101 

Thanks for the tag wastingtime!

@0426sheila 

You bring up a good point, listing an item as unmarked doesn't bother most folks as it's just being honest.

I agree that a seller should never put looks like xxxxx, that is an opinion only and can lead to a NAD when buyer doesn't read all of the description. 

For describing unmarked pieces that are suspected to be a well known designer, I like the terms " better constructed costume, good quality rhinestones etc. These are good choice words to use because your not naming possible designers or companies and you have the item in your possession. 

Now unless your family has ties with a famous jewelry designer such as the case of a poster here on the forum ( Schreiner) and can say 100% that indeed it is real, it's best to describe what you know.

Happy new year to you as well!

Silver

Message 4 of 4
latest reply