IMG_8786.JPGIMG_8788.JPGIMG_8789.JPGIMG_8790.JPG

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

What kind of Stone is in this 14K pendant

@kdk1690 

Well isn't that a interesting piece. By looking at it, looks Artisan made one of a kind. It looks like some kind of blue resin with shavings of fine metal poured into the 14k base. On the back I can make out an E and possibly a C with a bird in flight near the E. I don't know why they stamped it 14 three times?

I would start with Native American jewelry artisans hallmarks and go from there. That blue is very bright and eye catching for sure ( maybe a hot needle test off to the corner could be done?)

Good luck to you always, Silver

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

Oh my gosh!

Thank you for replying.. I thought it looked like some type of resin too but I didn't want to chime in and be wrong LOL

OP

The one thing I would be concerned about in that 14 stamp is, people can buy a 14k stamp- I would have that tested before I listed it as 14k.

My husband once bought a collection of jewelry all stamped 14k NONE of it was genuine..

Strange why somebody would put resin in 14k when it's usually set in silver or electroplate.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@pikabo-icu 

Hi pika!! ( help me get outta this forest!!)

I did notice that there are four stampings of "14" and one addition " k",

This is odd as it looks silver not gold.

And the bubbles I see in the blue area, what's that all about? The artisan almost looks like he was trying to replicate some part of the world with islands and such in this piece.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Ohh you're right..

It does resemble that- interesting..

And indeed it does look like silver.. I would get it tested just to prevent any INADs if it were me.. 

My friend, we have triple digits here today and 110 deg tomorrow, 107 after that!

I will trade you- you send some cold my way and I'll share my sun..

I live in the forest so I'm at home with that but this is heatwave is yucky!!

I hope you're enjoying your vaca & I hope the weather levels off for you.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

It has been tested with acid, it is 14K, I tried the hot needle, it is not resin, it has a opal glitter look inside, i even tried a razor blade on the edge, its is cold to the touch, maybe glass, not a stone, i don't know with out taking it out

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@kdk1690 

Wow that is very interesting..  Good on you for testing it. 

Thank you for returning and updating us.  Shows how difficult it can be to identify things with only photos. 

Glass is a good guess, some form of man-made Lapis perhaps?  Could it be a form of blue boulder opal?

Or maybe it is indeed a genuine stone of some type- I've not seen it before.. Could it be a genuine stone that's been dyed to be such a vibrant blue? 

It would seem odd to set a glass piece in 14K- so that adds to the mystery.. 

~Pika~

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Blue Boulder Opal is my guess, just wish i knew for sure, I am with you i wouldn't think anyone would set a piece of glass in that much gold, it is 50mm wide and weighs 29 grams with the blue Stone??? intact

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Wow! That is a large heavy piece! 

Perhaps a local rock & gem shop could offer an opinion?

I know we have a rock hound shop, about 90 mins away (that I avoid like the plague as I always spend way too much there, been a rock hound since I was a kid)  anyway, they might have some insight..

A valuable piece no matter what it is.. 

~Pika~

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@kdk1690 @pikabo-icu 

I bet you anything that this is probably that art form of pouring acrylic

into cabashons for jewelry. It's quite a process and I'll provide the link. I read on it last year and found it after searching.

Since OP lives near New Mexico from Texas, this art form is increasing in these areas and they wrap precious metals around the piece..14k/ 925.

The Artisans can produce any color or shape they want using this method.

https://acrylgiessen.com/en/turn-your-acrylic-pouring-skins-into-cabochon-jewellery/

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

Thank you my friend, I will definitely check that out.. 

~Pika~

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

IMG_8814.JPGIMG_8815.JPGIMG_8816.JPGIMG_8817.JPG

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

It is a stone, polished on one side, so i am back to blue boulder opal, just the stone weighs 11.58gr. Thanks for all the input, have learned some new things.

Kenny
Photobucket
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@kdk1690 

Kenny, so you removed it from the pendant? So it is a real stone, almost like an agate form...wow! Well this has been interesting to say the least.

Now what are you going to do with the piece?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@kdk1690 

Nice..

I guessed correctly Yay.. At least one of my guesses.. lol

It's a beauty.. One of the bluest I've ever seen..

I have some black opal pieces that are very blue but not like that one.. 

~Pika~

Message 15 of 18
latest reply