cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find information on my Grandmother's 18K Tiffany necklace, Italy.

Hello.  I am trying to get information on a Tiffany necklace that was my Grandmother's.  She passed it on to my Mother...I don't know when but I always remember it being in her jewelry box.  She gave it to me when I was 30, I'm 62 now.  I'm wondering about age, designer, etc.  I am planning to sell it and want as much good information I can offer.  On the back of the box clasp it is marked "K18, ITALY, TIFFANY".  It is almost 1/2" wide, 15.5" long, and weighs 50 grams.  Following are some photos.  Any information greatly appreciated....oh...and price suggestions.  Thank you!!

IMG_2154.JPGIMG_4943.JPGIMG_4944.JPGIMG_4946.JPGTPHZ7039.JPGMNZC4718.JPGUBJT5764.JPG

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

@mkgl 

OK hmm, before anyone gets too excited here your pictures expand blurry. I'm not loving that makersmark right now and I can't see a close up of the links.

I want you to look at the links of the chain closely, do you see any split on them anywhere? Please take a better close up of this part and a better close up of the clasp with Tiffany on it for us. In the meantime I will tag @jsales0 as she is very good with Tiffany jewelry, and I going to investigate something in the meantime.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Beautiful necklace,

Sorry to say my dear, this is not made by Tiffany & Co.

But it's 18K gold, made in Italy and it has very high value. You may need to insure your beautiful necklace for safe keeping. Italian marking of 'K18'  was popular in retro era, 1940s

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@mkgl 

The reason that I had doubt on this piece is look at the fonts/stampage of the word " tiffany" it's wrong, also Tiffany will always hallmark their pieces to indicate purity, therefore 18k will be stamped 750 ( Sterling will be stamped 925).

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for all the help so far.  I know that the "Tiffany" mark is different...I thought it might be a style of an older stamp.  Being marked "Italy", I am surprised it doesn't say 750 vs. K18.    The 1940s sounds about right.  I tried to get a couple of better photos.   I looked more closely at the inside of the links.  I can see where they come together, in some places, but then on the side of where it comes together it looks solid.  I had to use a magnifying visor to really see it, but the camera picked it up.  During the Depression my Grandmother was ordering dresses out of NYC...she was lucky.  She was a millionaire when that used to mean something, so I didn't think it would be a "fake" of some sort.  So if it isn't Tiffany, is it's value more along the lines of scrap gold pricing?  IMG_4961.JPGIMG_4962.JPGIMG_4963.JPGThanks for the input.  Any other thoughts appreciated!!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Also brought to a very reputable jeweler to have it cleaned.  He didn't mention that he didn't think it was Tiffany.  He thanked me for leaving it in his care.   Not a clue here, which is why I am here!  Thanks!!!

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@mkgl 

Yeah, it would be somewhat unprofessional for that jeweler to say something about fake, counterfeit when you employed him to clean it.

Thanks for the better pictures. The one rule about Tiffany's is their craftsmanship, if there is a slight doubt in your piece your hunch is right. That's how they fiercely protect their name and reputation. Tiffany's is one of the most counterfeited companies around, but the fraudsters just can't seem to get it right.

Your necklace looks like a double gold cable curb link.

The tongue and fold over bar 

clasp should be more " Tiffany" like with a button. View this link of a bracelet similar to your necklace I found, look at the mark closely, this is real.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-tiffany-co-14k-yellow-gold-1788234382

Even though it's 14k gold, it still has a good view of it's mark.

Now, with all this said, you need to have this tested for gold. Take it back to your jeweler and have him test it as home kits can have the acid go bad. 

Grandma could have obtained this piece in her travels, who knows. But like the other poster stated " the Italian mark of k18 is from the 40s", I personally don't think your necklace is that old but maybe more 1970s.

But first you need to get this gold tested by that jeweler. In the meantime maybe poster jsales will see her notify and offer some insight as well.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

I wouldn't have told you if you brought it to my shoppe for cleaning either. I wouldn't want to degrade your experience visiting my little store! 

But things are different here. I can teach and this post could remain in archive for later explorations. So let me tell you a little more about your beautiful and expensive nacklace

"K18" was used in defiance of English language. More reason be after stampage of 18K, the number 1 is standing out to the left and is vulnerable to any " wrongful " enhancements among other reasons 

These links are not solid. To say it more accurately, the whole necklace is not solid. These are heavy 18K sheet metal foldings and the links are paste soldered and placed in kiln to melt. So they look and feel very solid

Here is a sample of American workmanship of  about the same era. Americans did the same job but used different colors of gold so workmanship be shown off by exploiting the technique. Meaning; eyes will see what has been done

bracl_1.jpg

This is one of my rarest pieces of the era back in bottom of the safe somewhere, I need to post this for sale some  time!

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Sorry-late to the party-TY SST. I pretty good with 70s forward Tiffany silver but less so with older gold but I’ve never seen Tiffany gold not stamped Tiffany & Co. I don’t know if Tiffany confiscates  so I wouldn’t send it to them for cleaning although the odds are they’d just return it to you but The Real Real is definitely a safer bet. If it’s counterfeit you’ll get it back but if it definitely tests as 18K it has significant value even as scrap. It looks 50s/60s to me. Let us know what you find out.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@jsales0 

Appreciate "j",

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

It has been tested and it is 18K.  The 40s make sense as my Grandmother owned it for awhile, before giving it to my Mother.  I was born in 1959 and I always remember it being in my Mother's jewelry box...well before the 70's.  Grandma did travel a lot.Button is textured, not smoothButton is textured, not smoothIMG_4964.JPG  The clasp does have a button, but it really blends in well. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Thanks.  You sure sound like you know your stuff.  So I'm disappointed.  I have an old, fake Tiffany.  I guess I won't be selling it on Ebay, with that description.  If nothing else, I can at least get scrap pricing for it...though it isn't scrap...but a fake!  Thanks again.  Oh...what would you guess the age?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

@mkgl 

Your looking at roughly $2,149.00 in scrap currently.

It is upsetting I'm sure to hear all this. Maybe you can get a nice ring or something to remember grandma with the money. Best to you, Silver

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes , this is such a beautiful necklace ...

Is there anyway that the "TIFFANY" mark could be removed, so that it could be sold for what it is, a beautiful 18k gold necklace?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@mkgl Please! Now, I feel sad. This is a beautiful necklace. It's a family heirloom. By no means it should be scraped or sold like this

Think about it for a while, then you decide what you want to do with it. Give yourself time, please. Don't rush

Message 15 of 21
latest reply