cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to find information on my Grandmother's 18K Tiffany necklace, Italy.

Hello.  I am trying to get information on a Tiffany necklace that was my Grandmother's.  She passed it on to my Mother...I don't know when but I always remember it being in her jewelry box.  She gave it to me when I was 30, I'm 62 now.  I'm wondering about age, designer, etc.  I am planning to sell it and want as much good information I can offer.  On the back of the box clasp it is marked "K18, ITALY, TIFFANY".  It is almost 1/2" wide, 15.5" long, and weighs 50 grams.  Following are some photos.  Any information greatly appreciated....oh...and price suggestions.  Thank you!!

IMG_2154.JPGIMG_4943.JPGIMG_4944.JPGIMG_4946.JPGTPHZ7039.JPGMNZC4718.JPGUBJT5764.JPG

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Trying to find information on my Grandmother's 18K Tiffany necklace, Italy.

You are so kind!  I need the cash.  I'm on disability after a brain aneurysm.  My 22 year old car my quit on me.  I thought that this could help boost me up to something better than what I can do on my own.  Thank you for your knowledge and for sharing it!!

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

If you haven't had it tested for type of metal, you should.  Items marked Italy with a karat indicator were notorious for being faked back in the mid 80s into the 1990s.  With a questionable Tiffany mark, the look of a base metal showing on the back of the clasp (from your picture), I would get it tested.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Don't worry @mkgl this is solid gold, otherwise, Jeweler wouldn't have submerged it in water, because all jewelers know, once you place base metal in water, it'll come out rusted or change color. You had this in your family for 50 years already and necklace has been worn many times, if plated or made of base metal, me, you and Jeweler would have seen the signs and known

Test it if you like, it's made of 18 Karat gold,signs are there, especially with 'K18' stampage 

Word of caution; be very careful of your investment, cover yourself,  you're on eBay! When you're ready to post it for sale, spend few dollars and get an appraisal. Costs are minimal but you could sell it with confidence and you have a base value to go with

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Marking as already stated is wrong.

Yet that company did purchase and mark goods they did not manufacture.

Some photo make me wounder if gold or gold filled:  take it to a reputable jeweler and have it tested.

Also have them weigh it ( if gold) since that would be necessary to calculate the value.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

An appraisal will do you no good here on eBay.  They can easily be faked and have been many times here on eBay.  Being in the family for years and years is also no guarantee that an item is what it has been claimed to be for all those years.  The one and only way to know what you have it to have it tested.  Then you will know for sure what you have, no one can tell you from a picture.  For a price, Tiffany will verify it or you can list it here and eBay with their veROprogram will let you know very fast whether it is a known Tiffany item.  

How does the VeRO program work on eBay?
To take advantage of this protection, eBay created VeRO. eBay’s VeRO program allows trademark and copyright owners to request the removal of listings that infringe on their rights. This program puts the responsibility of finding violations back on the intellectual property owners.
Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

If there is a Tiffany store near enough take it there and ask if it can be cleaned- i have been told they take a look and authenticate before accepting an item to clean - then you will know for sure.

Don't ask for authentication as they don't do that.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply