cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New policy and adding fees for

That new policy about authenticity on jewelry sold for $500 and more.  REally??? Better hire some people that can authenticate the jewelry because you sure need them, even for more jewelry, aka costume that is cheaper.  This is just charging more fees on the seller, and not resolving a big issue of fakes being sold as real, such as Schrieiner that does sell for that much but some is not authentic, and it is starting to be faked abroad, as is well known in jewelry community for Chanel, and many many other big names in jewelry.  Remember not all jewelry has real stones that will sell for $500.   

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: New policy and adding fees for

Ebay needs to do a test study on their rules, before they start requiring them.  Most local jewelry shops are not going to do anything without a fee, if they will at all.  And then the cost and fees sending to some GIA place. it is not going to happen, Is not going to go well.  This is just a no brainer. 

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: New policy and adding fees for

If you don't trust eBay's motives here, I understand.  But I am pretty sure GIA won't allow THEIR good reputation to go down the tubes by allowing people who aren't their employees do things with their name on the line.  I am a GIA trained Graduate Gemologist, but GIA wouldn't allow me to issue GIA reports.  The only thing I could do is list my GIA training in my credentials when doing an appraisal.

GIA protects its brand at all costs.  For instance, their diamond grading reports are widely known as "certificates" or just "certs" in the industry.  But GIA does not call their reports "certificates" because GIA maintains that they do not certify anyone or anything.  I can't advertise that I am, or my reports are "GIA certified".  I am highly skeptical that GIA would risk its reputation by allowing nonemployees to issue authenticity guarantees with their name on it.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply