cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More filtering categories needed to help buyers refine gemstone requirements

I realize many buyers of gemstones and gemstone jewelry have no clue except that something just looks pretty and looks authentically real.  Most gemstone vendors, or the hundreds I've perused,  seem to prey on those type of buyers.  But Ebay should also facilitate those of us who have sparse time to plow through pages and pages of vendor whose own knowledge is either very amateur or deliberately evasive. I set a trap and caught those type which are many on Ebay. 

I found most overseas vendors sneakily claiming their gemstones are "natural" instead of lab grown which is different than lab created or made. However a licensed U.S. gemologist can distinguish which ones are earth natural from lab natural. Many gemstone hustlers use Ebay to unload Lab natural gemstones which bear a fraction of the dollar value of earth mined gemstones. Try insuring a lab version - the agent will be laughing at least behind our backs. Most vendors avoid emailing when I ask them to specify if their gemstones are earth natural or lab grown. When a vendor also claims a gemstone only has heating or color untreated, it can still be lab grown. Lab grown means that the same chemical elements which forged earth excavated gemstone over millions of years are applied to lab  grow same type of gemstone but in months instead of years - those in the industry are called "synthetics".  In the clothing textile industry, the word synthetics refers to made made fibers to mimic natural animal or land cultivated sources of fiber as silk, wool, cotton etc.  Lab created or lab made means that other elements were used just to create the illusion of a real gemstone, called simulants. 

Also, I found many gemstone vendors are literally ignorant of most differences as I set a trap and found out they are using terms without being able to prove their claims and Ebay let's them.  Dishonesty is dishonesty even if unintended because ignorance is no excuse. 

As for Ebay, it is inconsistent in the refinement filtering categories many of us more knowledgeable gemstone collecting buyers take for granted.  Under filtering choices, there should always be included range of carat weights on both mounted fine gemstone jewelry and loose gemstones. There should always be not only 'cut grade', but clarity grade. Cut grade for Ebay's gemstone novices has no bearing on level of a gemstone's internal inclusions.  In fact, I found hundreds of gemstones under category of "excellent cut" at best, as ordinary.  Instead of just having "natural"  which many vendors sneakily apply to lab grown, as I caught them, there should be added "earth mined" or earth natural. Then under lab, there should be 'lab grown natural', 'lab created or made'. Even under treatment, many vendors assume irradiation and heating are synonymous, but intensity, how and how long and why certain gemstones are heated does make a difference, at least in the interest of integrity of full disclosure. 

Not all buyers have the time during a refund grace period to go to a gemologist and pay increased fees to examine a gemstone labeled "natural". Most gemologist fees cost more than the price paid for lab grown naturals.   I will admit I do set email traps to protect myself in the event I buy a gemstone listed as "natural" and untreated or just heating. Then if I find out otherwise, Ebay has to give refunds as there is no room for debate given what has been said in writing has legal standing.  Refunds are not profitable nor convenient for sellers and Ebay. Seems to me that honest disclosure is more favorable in the short and long run. In the time I spent playing detective, I could have easily bought several gemstones which appealed to me. Instead I wasted time emailing questions to those vendors. Most refuse to respond because they fear admitting using deceptive language in their descriptions.  One vendor naively wrote back saying that she did not know the origin of the gemstone because she is not a jeweler and that the real jeweler told her to write "natural" in the listing. Luckily, consumer and seller laws overseas are more flexible than in my home state where consumer laws are very tough. 

My advice to gemstone vendors is if your gemstones are actually earth natural, that is bragging rights. They should not compete with ridiculous low start price bids against lab grown gemstone vendors. As a buyer, I should be able to use the time to do more buying than to waste time figuring out which sellers are pulling a slight of hand card trick on us. More discrepancies I read, more skeptical I became, thus lost inclination to buy any gemstones on Ebay. Less likely I would recommend anyone to buy gemstones on Ebay unless they had a gemologist friend to examine those gemstones upon arrival for smaller or no fee. Then buyer does not waste more money before asking Ebay for a refund. When I spend money, it is with the intention of keeping the item. It is no fun to return purchases either.

E bay should add to the filtering category choices to facilitate buyers who want only "earth natural" items which demand more refinements than those buyers just looking to buy stuff that look like the real thing. Ebay should recruit U.S. based experts to advise Ebay's website staff. I know many tech geek geniuses in the online services who are naive about anything or anyone outside their small world and even tinier consumer experiences. When shopping for gemstones on Ebay, no one at Ebay should assume that we are willing to buy anything looking like silk even if made with polyester. I never buy polyester to look like silk, only 100% "naturally grown" silk. Buying gemstones is no different. Ebay should expand its filtering choices to give us more control in what we want to buy and from whom. Then if we have any regrets, the fault will be on us instead, thus sparing the cost of refunding. 

Also, a note to Ebay's consumer knowledge limited staff involved in the gemstone/jewelry side of the website, "loose gemstones" merely refers to those not jewelry mounted, obviously. But in jewelry, Ebay allows choice of "solitaire" or cluster etc..  In loose gemstones, it is not segregated and should be. There should be another filtering category as "single stones" and "parcel of stones" for those of us only seeking single gemstones, not pieces of the same gemstones. It is annoyingly time consuming to flip page after page after page because we cannot avoid seeing gemstone pieces.  I bet at least 50% of refunds would cease if we buyers of gemstones could be in greater control upfront of what we want. Faster we find what we want, faster we buy. Longer we encounter deceitful descriptions of gemstones, more annoyed we become to the point of not buying at the time we had planned.  Many of us buy gemstones for far different reasons than buy short lived items as clothing, purses, appliances, breakable holiday ornaments etc. I wish Ebay understood those consumer differences.  Also, since the value of integrity and full disclosure varies from culture to culture, country from country, then a more expended and consistent filtering category refinement would induce vendors to be more careful, and give consumers more control. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: More filtering categories needed to help buyers refine gemstone requirements

Sorry, but you are preaching to the choir.  The tools are there for an honest seller.  The item specifics, if correctly used would alleviate the problem.  Seems you have posted before about this.  Call eBay, nothing we, as buyers or sellers can do to help your aghast.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: More filtering categories needed to help buyers refine gemstone requirements

Read your comment to my recent concern. I know I was preaching to the choir. Have you noticed that Ebay specifically discourages any easy avenue to address suggestions them?  I simply preach to the customer representatives by phone knowing my voice is being recorded and has to be heard by office supervisors etc.  We are allowed to communicate to "community forum" is a placebo.   Just to buy one gemstone of a caliber I require takes me hours because i read every vendor's claimed descriptions. I even have spent time to study the global reputations of all those obscure "certification sources" mentioned by most vendors.  I also found that many foreign vendors' definition of "natural" is also "iffy". 

There are plenty of U.S. based gemologist reliable sources from whom to buy gemstones. However, only reason to use Ebay is hoping to buy similar desired quality at lesser prices because those vendors have lower marketing and salaried employment overhead than the higher cost of doing business in most parts of the U.S.  Also, even in my well known cosmopolitan city, most jewelers and even gemologists do not carry a huge and extensive inventory of the world's gemstones.  I believe the fine gemstone and fine jewelry section of the website is managed by those Ebay executives who either do not buy fine jewelry, or have never shopped for jewelry outside of a Sears or Costco jewelry counter. 

For most of us private collectors, our passion for fine gemstones is taken seriously beyond just wearing them.  Other products on Ebay are shortlived products, not the same reasons for buying gemstones. Even the terminology in Ebay filtering categories is outdated and pedestrian.  I would never, never, never recommend a gemstone novice or amateur to rely on Ebay to buy gemstones.  Only those of us with previous years of buying from licensed local gemologists and studied volumes of how to spot variable grades of gemstones may be in a better position to gamble on buying gemstones through Ebay.  Luckily, I have affordable access to a local gemologist to test anything I buy at Ebay. Years back I quickly demanded refunds when I took those gemstones to be tested before the refund period expired. I just bought a few again. I will not hesitate to have them tested, and if the test for earth mined and just heating treatment claims fail, I will demand refunds. I even make a print copy of the gemstone description page as evidence in case a vendor or Ebay tries to tell me that the claims of authenticity etc. were not made. A couple of gemstone vendors a few years back denied making certain claims, until I told Ebay that I had the "proof".  Sad but true, lots of vendors try to sell items through Ebay which would be restricted by their local governments for less than honorable aims.  However, to be fair, I have enjoyed lots of items from very nice, reliable,  caring vendors.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply