cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lose diamond on ring

Hi.  I bought a beautiful diamond ring from a seller who sells a lot of jewelry.   The seller had a lot of rings I want but I decided to buy them one at a time.   The ring was pretty when  I got it but the closer I looked I realized the middle diamond is Very loose.  In fact if I decided to wear it I am sure it will fall out.

I contacted the seller and asked them if they realized that the diamond was really loose??  Crickets!  It's been two days and no response at all. 

What should I do?  I don't understand why they didn't answer me?  What should  I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Lose diamond on ring

@intodreamland wrote:

I had not wanted to file a claim against them because I was hoping they would be my favorite jewelry dealer.   I can't go to a jeweler to see how much it will cost to repair for at least a week.   I just had surgery and can't go anywhere.  I didn't know if that would be too late.  Thanks,

Buyers have 30 days from receipt of an item to open a case. So you have plenty of time if you need it, but if you open a case, the seller may simply agree to accept the ring back (seller pays for return shipping)  and you'll have to send it back, in which case you'll get a full refund.

If you're hoping for a partial refund, the seller might or might not be agreeable to that but isn't required to offer you one.

So consider before too long what exactly you want from the seller for a ring that you think has a stone that might fall out.  If you don't explicitly tell the seller what you want before you open a case, there's no guarantee the seller is going to offer you what you think is appropriate, if a partial refund is what you're hoping for.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sellers are not required to respond, and if over 30 days ago, not required to fix it unless you file a claim. Take it to a jeweler just as you would if you bought it at any second hand place - like a yard sale.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I had not wanted to file a claim against them because I was hoping they would be my favorite jewelry dealer.   I can't go to a jeweler to see how much it will cost to repair for at least a week.   I just had surgery and can't go anywhere.  I didn't know if that would be too late.  Thanks,

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@intodreamland wrote:

What would you like the seller to do?  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@intodreamland wrote:

Buyers have 30 days from receipt of an item to open a case. So you have plenty of time if you need it, but if you open a case, the seller may simply agree to accept the ring back (seller pays for return shipping)  and you'll have to send it back, in which case you'll get a full refund.

If you're hoping for a partial refund, the seller might or might not be agreeable to that but isn't required to offer you one.

So consider before too long what exactly you want from the seller for a ring that you think has a stone that might fall out.  If you don't explicitly tell the seller what you want before you open a case, there's no guarantee the seller is going to offer you what you think is appropriate, if a partial refund is what you're hoping for.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If you got a good deal on it and really like the ring, decide if you have enough time within the 30-day period to recuperate and take it to a jeweler. Chances are it just needs the prongs tightened down, perhaps re-tipped...worst case the prongs broke due to metal porosity, in which case you should definitely allow time for returning it, IMO.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for your reply.  I just wanted them to fix it.   I will make sure they know what I want then.  I appreciate it as I've never bought diamonds online before.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

So, where are we with this one?? B
Message 8 of 8
latest reply