cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticity Guaranteed is Bogus

As a seller we have  consistently run into serious problems with eBay's Authenticity Guaranteed process.  We have two GIA educated gemologist that take care of our in store evaluation of gemstones and also verify designer products.  Whoever is authenticating items for eBay is either incompetent, doesn't care to thoroughly evaluate items, or is purposefully sabotaging the platform.  Seller's have no recourse to challenge the "authenticator's " determination or communicate with them or the buyer in any way prior to the sale being cancelled.  As a shareholder in eBay, this makes me concerned about the long term prospect of the platform's stock price and ability to retain sellers.  As a business, our company will be forced to explore other alternatives for our primary e-commerce platform in the category of fine jewelry sales. 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

This program is terrible. I have run of the mill jewelry having to go to the "authenticator" and it sits there for over a week. Customers are **bleep**. I have Cartier, Tiffany, Bvlgary pieces that are not subject to the new program.

Don't know what genius decided to roll this out right before Christmas, they should be fired.

Ebay says gia is overwhelmed with items sent to "authenticator"

Customer should have the option to have it "authenticated" or not.

25 years on ebay selling fine vintage/antique  jewelry to long time customers and now their purchases are getting diverted to some overwhelmed jewelry school graduate to give an opinion on something they have no experience with. 3 day delivery is now 2 week delivery, if the student authenticator approves. ugghhhhh

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I just had some emerald earrings fail the authenticity process because they disagreed with the carat size from my GIA professional appraisal.  OK, so I got them back and relisted them with what the authenticator said it should be.  Apparently, however, the potential buyer isn't told anything as to why the authentication failed, and just left me negative feedback with the word "fraud"!  This process needs major revisions!!  I'm hoping I don't run into similar problems when the earrings sell again because they go to the GIA institute in California, and I think they are being reviewed by students.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply