cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amerik? mark on strange type clip earrings

I haven't seen this type of clip earring before, nor have I run across this siggy so thought I would ask the experts here.
This is a shot of the back side of the earrings.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The mark on the left looks like AMERIK and on the right, it looks to an A without the cross bar, an O with what looks like the right side of a K fused to right side of the O, then the letter L.
Any ideas?
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I was just looking this up the other day, I have a pearl pin.. this is what I found..as far as the backs go they "remind" me of omega backs

Amerikaner, 1869 - unknown
Amerikaner, originally a German brand of rolled gold jewelry, was founded by Friedrich Speidel in 1869 in Pforzheim, a small town in southwest Germany commonly refered to as Goldstadt, or “Golden City”, renowned world-wide for it’s jewelry and watch-making industry.  The company moved to Providence, Rhode Island in 1904 and later went on to become the Speidel Company, inventors of the revolutionary Twist-O-Flex metal expansion watch band in 1959.  The Amerikaner brand in it’s early years was known for manufactured sterling and gold-plated pocket watch chains, seed pearl sautoir necklaces, watch bracelets and delicate leverback earrings.  Their Art Deco bracelets and cufflinks were known by their heavy yet delicate engravings and inlays, often featuring a small fishscale pattern, while many later pieces from the Art Nouveau period were set with a number of rare and semiprecious stones.  Pieces are signed with Amerikaner followed sometimes by SP for it’s thought Speidel, other times by AD for Andreas Daub and occasionally K&L (origin unknown) is found on their linked chains and watch fobs.  Today the original Amerikaner company is defunct but brother and sister Gennaro and Lynn-Marie Cerce, scions of the Foster Grant sunglass concern, have resurrected the Speidel brand of watches, watchbands and jewelry.

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you. That gives me something to go on.
Would you call those lever backs?
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Omega Clip Back

OMEGA CLIP BACK

The omega clip is formed with a single wire in the shape of an omega. It folds over in the same way as a normal clip and attaches to the earring. There are modern versions of the omega clip which folder a pierced earring post, but the term generally refers to the normal clip style. 

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

K&L stands for a German based company called Kordes & Lichtenfels. They started business circa 1884 in Pzorheim, Germany. I have a rolled gold bangle stamped K&L plus also stamped Amerik. I'm assuming it was made by K&L for the American market. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

K& L: Is also a German company called Kordes& Lichtenfels. Which was founded in 1884. I hope this is helpful. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The word "Amerikaner" is the same as "double" and this was a process of double plating an item which was created during the Austrian Empire period (prior to 1865) and assured a lifetime glow. It was used because pure gold was becoming scarce due to fine metals needed for the war efforts throughout Europe.

The German and Austrian jewelry which utilized this technique had it stamped with the name "Amerikaner" and the "AD" represented "Auch" (attention) "Double" (doo blay). This was to demonstrate that the item was a patented mark "attention" usually referred to the command for no duplication. Items created with this process basically were of 9kt or 333 to 375/1000 gold. They could be higher. Base material was silver with copper which allowed for the rose gold color. "Double" is an outstanding hallmark along with "Amerikaner" and holds 35/000 micro edition as upheld by the world gold standard. It ceased to be at the beginning of the First World War.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply