cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turquoise question

Just purchased a jewelry lot and confused about turquoise.  Does turquoise come in big rocks like this necklace?  The necklace is very cold to touch so not plastic and it very heavy.  Don't want to list it as turquoise if not.  Are rocks colored turquoise?  I don't have any way to test them.  Really need help.  Thank you in advance.IMG_2838.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

turquoise question

The uniformity of color suggests these may be dyed Howlite.

Quick, easy test is to rub acetone dipped Q-tip on inconspicuous spot and see if color rubs off.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

turquoise question

Whatever the material might be, yes, real turquoise comes in "lump" form; in irregular shapes, and can be all sorts of sizes.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

turquoise question

I tend to agree about the uniformity of color.  Truquoise that color with so little dark matrix in beads that big would be expensive, very expensive.  The odds are very good it is dyed howlite or magnesite.

It is beautiful however and I'm pretty sure you'd find a buyer for it.  The southwestern appeal of it will sell it.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

turquoise question

You could write "turquoise-like stones" in a listing title (if you plan to sell it). That way it wouldn't lock you into anything specific.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

turquoise question

I'd call it dyed howlite.  If it's actually turquoise that's been overdyed, it's not worth much more than the howlite anyway.  The inclusions are the wrong color for magnesite.  That's brown and these are black. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

turquoise question

Thank you everyone for the advice and help.  Going to list it today!!!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

turquoise question

No you cant.  No waffle words such as "like" -esque, or "style".  It is or it isnt.  THOUGH...you could say faux turquoise or simulated.  OR just honestly say turquoise blue howlite.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply