cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on turquoise

Bought several sterling silver pieces in a large lot and these two where part of the group.  Don't know much about turquoise and feel both are fake.  The bracelet has a chipped stone and the color is solid inside - so is this a dyed or fake turquoise stone?  Second piece the necklace I can see with a lope the color chipped off so really thin that piece is glass or painted metal.  Thinking I should scrap both pieces and wondering what this board thinks and can help me with my decision.  Thanks!IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4815.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: question on turquoise

Just my opinion as turquoise is not my thing either, but the first stone looks like glass to me.  The second stone could be a doublet or possibly a triplet.  I'd probably scrap them.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi, you're right the turquoise could be a variety of qualities. It could be just stabilized/dyed turquoise or block turquoise, definitely doesn't look like natural untreated turquoise. If you're scrapping to sell, it might be worth keeping the stones in there because you'll get more for it with the stone than without.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I think I will list each at auction stating damage and take a loss.  Thanks for the help.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The settings are too nice to scrap either piece IMO.  There are many artisans out there who can plop a stone in either setting and restore the piece.  Is either one signed beyond 925?  

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

P.S.  I belong to a group called Turquoise People.  You can add a .com and that's their website.  Very helpful knowledgeable people.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Both pieces are only signed 925.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Rest of the story - just listed both yesterday at a low starting bid at auction.  Hoping some artist can repair the bracelet.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply