cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brooch description help

Very attractive, I am certain it is silver, but I cannot find a mark....very shiny (stone? black glass?) Era and a description for my title ....Regards V76IMG_5676.JPGIMG_5677.JPGIMG_5678.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: brooch description help

Oh my, I really should have cleaned first...

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Yes the camera does pick all that up! Can't help other than to say looks old, silver and glass-maybe a mourning brooch?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Looks Handmade Arts & Crafts  or in Arts & Crafts style. 

The hinge and clasp look early 1900s. Does the lever safety part of the clasp feed down from the top or come up from the bottom. Earlier ones come up from the bottom.

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/JewelChatFindings.html

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, up from the bottom. Who knew there were so many nuances to the mechanics of jewelry! Thank you, V76

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Mid to late 1800s mourning brooch IMHO. Good Luck

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

YES! No question, now, is "jet glass " the appropriate term for the main portion, or someones pet term? The silver passed the magnet test, ( I was reminded of that method in another post, THANK YOU, btw) the really interesting thing is that the entire pin assembly also passed, so full silver. Thank you for that speedy identification, I have LOADS of other vintage pieces I am pulling out to list, I find variety in my store works best, thank you again, V76

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"French jet" is a term I've seen used for black glass in Victorian mourning jewelry and one collectors would recognize - though it might confuse modern non-collectors who might take the term literally and not know the old slang sense of "French" as "not really."

flotsamlogo
Message 8 of 8
latest reply