cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whiting and Davis runway necklace

I have a whiting and davis runway necklace that is made up of mesh and rhinestones in a lovely bow.  Not something I could pull off, but I am sure other people can.  I have listed it a few times with no bites not even nibbles...are these pieces no longer of interest to costume jewelry folks...your thoughts

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Whiting and Davis runway necklace

good morning mimiwells,

It's just getting the right person at the right time to see your item (it's gorgeous!)

I've had pieces sit, that I thought for sure would be a quick sell for what seems like forever.

When they finally sell, I've actually gotten e-mails from other buyers asking what happened to the piece they were going to buy it.

There's no rhyme or reason, just the right person at the right time.

Try doing a BIN at a higher price with an auto accept for you bottom price.

I've sold pieces using this method for more than my starting price using the auction format-

I think it's people buying on a whim.....

Pauline 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Pauline:

Thanks so much, I just thought it was me, so maybe I will do a BIN for 30 day listing and just let it sit.  I also have two very nice Panetta bracelets that I can't seem to move.  Guess I will hold onto those two because I like them...lol  Thanks for the advice

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Pauline, is right.  It only takes one person that decides they want the item.  Also remember this is the slow part of the year.  Summer is out there with lots of things to do other than sit at a computer looking at items.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If I could figure out what sells then I be in the money!  You just never know.  I tend to buy at a local auction since I enjoy watching the people and items move though the day.  My rule is to buy something that I like.  Selling I have tended to sell at BIN since the advice I got from this board was listing for 30 days give more time fior buyers to see the item.  Also I do give the option of "Make an Offer".  Ebay now has an option that you can list the item with the lowest you will accept so you don't have to turn down low ball offers.  The system does that.  I still like to list a few items at auction but again the advice given here on this board was not to list it any lower than what you are willing to sell it for.  I have nice pieces that have not sold and I just store and offer a few months down the road.  Also I will add that buying at auctions I do get some wonderful jewlery but in the lot only one or two pieces that sell.  A couple of weeks ago I listed several lots of jewelry all wearable but not vintage.  Out of the 7 lots 4 sold.  one for 19.00 .2.25 and (2)for only .99  The risk you take.  So lost money on that.  I did spend the jewelry out so bidders could see what was offered - again advice from this board.    Hope I helped.  

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I notice there is no length mentioned in the title or description. Maybe mentioning one that might help? Also, I might show the back of the bow and the Clasp plus spread out the Mesh in a picture.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I have a similar WD necklace that I haven't listed yet, I've been holding off on listing anything through the Summer.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I think I will take everyone's advice and hold off listing this one until later in the year...

It is sad because I have two Panetta bracelets that are pretty stunning too and they can't even get a 9.99 bid on them each...sad...

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Hi Mimi, I agree, you need more photos, especially the mark Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Thank yoiu

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Hi Mimi, I just started back selling and have only made 2 sells so I may not be the best at giving advice as to HOW to sell. lol However I know when I'm shopping I like to see clear photos, photos of the back of the piece, sizes listed. Also when I list I try and use every space ebay gives me. You never know what a buying will use in the search. Also when I did a super fast google search I found only 3 of your necklaces, yours, another on ebay and one on etsy. I beleive they were priced 195. 95. then yours.......I would stick in RARE and like others said raise the price with a buy it now. I just got a bid on a pair of earrings that I am thrilled with the 29.00 bid price. I did have a 250.00 buy it now. My thoughts are the potential buyers might think that WOW I'm getting a 250.00 pair of earrings at a bargain! lol I don't know if it works but what the heck. 

Vinting Signed Whiting Davis Clear Rhinestone Mesh Bow Necklace Goldtone 18" Rare .......I don't know if this would all fit, but I've shortened vintage to vtg if I have to and stuck in designer signed, clear, size, jewelry costume..... ect if I have the room....today I searched for "green Lisner" other times vintage green rhinestone brooch pin Lisner.......just depends...kwim?

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

JMHO, but I think "rare" is overused. I just did a quick search and got 200,000 hits for "rare" in the jewelry & watched category Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

WOW guess "rare" isnt rare........lalalalal
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Hi, mimi. I always hesitate to pop off with comments about listing photos, because one never can be sure exactly what sort of photography equipment a seller might have at her disposal; I know that some folks have only their camera phones with which to photograph their items for listing, and, for those sellers, I'm sure it isn't helpful to hear that one needs to take better photos. However, when I looked at your listings, it was the quality of the photos which most drew my attention.

Taking the runway necklace as an example, I'd think that dealers and collectors might be drawn to your listing just by virtue of the rarity of the piece. However, the casual buyer, who may know nothing about Whiting & Davis in particular, or runway pieces in general, won't necessarily be atracted to your necklace due, solely, to its "pedigree." Those buyers, who are just looking for a pretty necklace, will need something else to draw them in, and I think that this is where the listing photographs become especially important.

I know that when I'm searching / browsing on eBay, whether it be for vintage costume jewelry or for Halloween ceramics, I will scroll through hundreds or thousands of listings as quickly as possible. And if I'm not searching out something in particular -- say, Fitz & Floyd Halloween cookie jar -- but, rather, I'm browsing items in a generalized category -- think pages and pages of Halloween ceramics -- and I know that I have 50 pages of listings to get through, there is only one thing that will make me stop and take a second look, and that is the listing photo. 

In re: to your listing photos, if you have a decent, workable camera, I think I'd try to get closer in to the subject, in a well-lighted area, in order to capture as much detail as possible. Additionally, a nice, clean, uncluttered background, in a color that contrasts greatly with your subject, is helpful. For instance, with lighter or brighter enameled pieces, I use a 50-cent piece of black scrapbook paper behind the items, and I've found that the items really pop against that black background (and, yes, I know that black velvet fabric is better than black paper, but I haven't yet managed to get myself a piece of velvet, so, for the time-being, I'm "making do").

Also, I'm not yet very good with my camera -- haven't spent enough time learning to use it properly -- so I use Windows PhotoGallery to help me edit the photos (i.e., clean up the mess I typically make when I take the pictures), so they'll look more professional. With a black background, I use the auto exposure button, which deepens the black background, and heightens the contrast between the background and the brightly colored item. With items I photograph against a white or gray background, I hover my pointer over the exposure options, and pick the option which best lightens, and brightens, and highlights the item. I always have to do this with white- and gray-background photos, because my raw photos are almost uniformly awful, and always come out looking washed-outgray-ish, and way too dark; using the exposure option, in PhotoGallery, allows me to lighten and brighten the entire photo, including the featured item.

Another thing I do, either in PhotoGallery or when I'm inserting the photos into the listing form, is to use the crop feature to center the item, and make it appear larger in the "frame." I've decided that a photo in which the item is a little-bitty gray-ish thing, lost in the center of a bunch of surrounding gray-ish space, just isn't going to draw a lot of looks from buyers who are simply browsing for something pretty.

So: (1) Close-up photos; (2) contrasting backgrounds; (3) use crop to center and enlarge featured item, and fill the photo field; and (4) use exposure in a photo editing program, to lighten and brighten your photos. And, finally, (5) use at least some of your other available photo spaces to provide good, clear, close-up views of the backside of your item, of the clasp, of the necklace "centerpiece," of any marks or signatures on the piece, etc. People want photos ... lots of good, clear photos. With buyers who aren't searching out your particular item, your main listing photo is your one big chance to draw their attention. 

Hope you can find something of use, here, in my rambling post. Good luck! 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I agree and would like to say I find a bright white or dark black background is very hard to photograph on. The camera picks the exposure based on what is sees, a lot of dark black will make it overexpose the image (making the jewelry washed out), a lot of bright white will make it underexpose (making the jewelry dark). I have more luck with off white or a dark gray, but that's just me.

I also find the better the photo is when I take it, the better to outcome is. I try to do as little as possible in adjusting the photo. I usually have to lighten it a bit and try to only have to do that Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 19
latest reply