cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage glass necklace, frosted glass squares, etc. ANY idea of maker??

I've had this piece for a while, purchased it at a consignment store with another necklace in the early 1990s.  (Good grief, was that 40 years ago??!!)  It actually looks amazing on but it is HEAVY HEAVY, and realized I haven't worn it in over 20 years, so time to list.

No marks, but I recall specifically another necklace that I got with it, that was really over the top glass (also unsigned, since sold) was almost positive from the same former owner,  and I always wondered if maybe something vintage out of Italy.   Seemed like the other necklace might have been 1970s plus or minus, this one being harder to date. 

Again, no marks.  Thoughts?  Thanks!s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpgsbet.jpgs77.jpgs8z.jpg

An estate sale is my natural habitat...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Vintage glass necklace, frosted glass squares, etc. ANY idea of maker??

Ok..I could be waaaay off base here (aka wrong  lol)  ..but the clasp just doesn`t seem like it matches the rest of the necklace. 

It looks older..while the filigree bead caps & the wrapping on the square beads look much newer. 

But..wait for others as always. 😉

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I didn't get that sense with it in the hand, but could be correct.  I purchased it vintage/used in 1991, so the earliest I think it could be is 1980s.   You know, this is suddenly reminding me of another necklace I posted here years ago that was a huge mystery.   It had really fabulous unusual glass beads (I think it was decided "Austria --maybe you I'd it, 1940??)   If memory serves it also had an elaborate rhinestone clasp that didn't seem to match the beads totally.  Is there a way to pull up old threads?   Now wondering if we might be looking at a similar animal! 

I forgot to mention this is all metal loops as connections, not a strand of thread,  which seems to be a bit of vintage construction.  Thanks for your thoughts and I'll go examine that clasp again.   

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Okay, I was able to find that old post.  Now looking at it, not sure relevant, but here were those necklaces I asked about in 2019.  I hope this opens. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Jewelry-Gemstones-Board-Group/2-art-glass-necklaces-with-rhinestone-cl...

I seem to find these mystery pieces!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The way that necklace is constructed, it really looks like a rosary, the connectors and the filigree caps and faceted beads. It looks like the could have mixed some components with a lovely old clasp, the clasp just seems way too small for the necklace.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Here is another photo of the clasp, but now I am noticing that the clasp is sort of a silver-tone and the links and finding are more brass colored, so maybe is a replacement!  It never occurred to me before.  The clasp is quite solid, it really locks in, I've never had an issue with it not holding, but the fact that it is silver colored and the rest not, does beg the question whether replaced!  Thanks!

So assuming clasp is replaced, any other thoughts here?  Those glass squares are so unusual, I figured they might be a clue.   Thanks for taking a look!

aaclasp1.jpg

Message 6 of 6
latest reply