cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugh...

Bought a jewelry lot the other day and came today, nice super fast ship. Opened the small flat rate box and the 40+ pins were loose in a bag with bubble wrap around the outside. Not great, but might be ok. Well, 3 pieces had stones come loose-2 were in the bag so can replace. One glued pin back came off, can reglue. One resin piece came off its wood base, can reglue, but one 1928 porcelain roses pin got chipped on all 3 flowers Smiley Sad I always get that feeling of dread when I open a package packed like this. When I used to buy pewter figurine lots they would sometimes be packed this way. The chances of surviving intact are usually none. Thanks for listening!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Ugh...

Clear,

I'm sorry that happened to you. It happened to me recently.

I would message the Seller and tell the Seller how they arrived and

what'll you'll have to do to repair them.

Next time, I will request the Seller to wrap them individually.

TEX
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Tex is spot on!!  It`s the only way sellers can learn how to properly do things! 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I've gotten a few like that, I always let them know they screwed up. I learned and so should they!

So sorry you have to deal with this heart

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

They offered me a few $ off, has high + fb. I seem to get more lots sent this way than not. Once I asked for a lot to be sent boxed after getting a few bent pin stems from jewelry being sent in an envelope. Was told no, sorry I only send this way. I let them know, as I would want to know. The problem is with a lot, if you divide the price by the pieces, the value for each piece is very low. Just sucks cuz all you really want is the item you bought and paid for, not to mention seeing what was once a nice piece of jewelry ending up pretty much worthless.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Sorry you`re having such a time with lots.

To protect my investment..I`d be inclined to (in a polite way  lol) ask a question before purchasing as to how it would be packaged for shipping.  

At least either way..depending on how seller replies..that can help decide on buying or not  AND if seller says 1 thing & does  another & it arrives damaged..you`re covered as far as returning.  

I have in the past requested careful packaging esp with new sellers & explained the reason why..no probs so far. 

Luck! Cat Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I just got a lot of rings. They were shipped in a sturdy box, thankfully, but were only packed in a ziplock. They arrived with one plastic piece broken off; fortunately it was a nasty ring sizer I was going to have to remove anyway. Even so, I'd asked that the seller gorilla proof the packing due to previous USPS murders of underpackaged jewelry. They assured me they packaged well, which was a lie. They could have added a piece of newspaper or other scrap paper and nothing would have rattled. I hate it when things are trashed in transit!

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It's a very "set in their ways" kind of mentality. I know I do a bit of an eyeroll when I get specific instructions from buyers on how to pack, can see it more from their perspective now. I usually pack the you know what out of everything, who wants to underpack and end up having to give a refund? Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Ditto here. In fact, whenever a buyer says "pack carefully" my first reaction is to assume they're trying to set me up for a claim. My shipping notification email says something like "I think you'll be satisfied with our standard packaging" and mentions that the item is insured.

Though some kinds of specialty items might require specific packing instructions. I remember a go-round on TVV about an antique doll; the buyer sent very specific packing instructions that included removing the eyes. Turned out there was a good reason for it.

flotsamlogo
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ugh and more UGGHHHHHH!  There should be a DSR for packaging with a comment madatory and visible to other buyers.   I believe Amazon has such a rating to check. 

My pet peeve is tape on the original boxes for designer items.  But, it hardly makes the list compared to receiving items all jumbled together, poorly protected from crushing.  I once received a necklace that became knotted and tangled.  It took me about 10 minutes to untangle.   A heavy silver watch was mailed in a greeting card envelope with nno more protection that a paper towel wrapped around it.  Amazingly, it survived a 1,200-mile journey!

.    I do praise sellers in feedback for careful packaging.    I message them privately with a thank you if they have taken exceptional care.   I do message sellers privately if packaging is poor with tips that have worked well for me.  These sellers are often newer, less experienced and, my messages have always been well-received.   Good luck, everyone!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

If I message a seller after buying a lot, I explain that I've had two lots destroyed in transit this year alone, (omitting how poorly they were packaged) and to please pack things so as to protect them from the gorillas the postal service seems to be hiring lately.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 11 of 11
latest reply