cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The family of Schreiner Jewelry Post

The family of Schreiner Jewelry are still alive and kicking.  Mom, Terry, is 89, and can't believe how my parents, and grandfathers creations have become so collectable.  My dad's , Ambros, famous ruffle pin retailed for $7.50 in the mid 1950ss.  It now often sells for over $750.00.  She is also very unhappy of crooked dealers claiming they have unsigned Schreiner, when it's not even close to anything we produced.  I have written a dealer in Cal. several times to remove things that are clearly not Schreiner.  She accused me of being another dealer trying to make her look bad... really!  Buyers beware of anything unsigned unless you have experience identifing Schreiner pieces, and don't believe them if they claimed it's verrified.  Sometimes I will post on a piece if it is clearly a Schreiner piece, and allow the seller to use my post.  Many books have poor information about my family's business.  One dealer claimed Sphinx is a hallmark of Schreiner, and listed some book from the 70ss, that stated it.  Schreiner Jewelry was only made in NYC, not in Europe, or any place else.  We did design for many of the best ready-to-wear, designers of the 30ss- 70ss, that was sold to them unsigned, but only made by us in NYC.  These pieces were sold with the garment.  Hope this helps new collectors, and best of luck to you!

SOME POSTS IN THIS THREAD HAVE BEEN EDITED.  ALL EDITES WILL BE IN CAPS AND IN RED. - SANDY, BOARD MODERATOR.

Message 1 of 1,018
latest reply
1,017 REPLIES 1,017

Re: The family of Schreiner Jewelry Post

I was going to ask for a picture of the back.  No, this is not one of ours.  We used the same stones, however.  But, they were bought as an odd lot either by my dad, or grandfather.  Both would buy out jewelry houses that were closing, se we had a rather interesting inventory of old, odd stones.  When it was slow my dad would look through the old stock boxes to see if he could come up with ideas on how to use them.  There were 1000;s of boxes that he never got around to using the stones.  Sometimes only a handful of stones left in them.  Sadly they all burned up when our barn burned down.  So your piece could be quite old.

Message 796 of 1,018
latest reply

Thank you so much for sharing the history and your knowledge with me. I appreciate it and thank you for confirming that it's not. So sad. What year did the barn burn down? Trying to guage age. .. 

Message 797 of 1,018
latest reply

25 years ago, but the stones were bought somewhere from the 30s to the 50s.  From the look I would say it's from the 40s.  Did you check if it's silver??

Message 798 of 1,018
latest reply

No. It looks like it was gold plated at one time but it's faded,  and the metal beneath isn't silver. I sell silver alot

It's definitely not silver.  

Thank you for that. 

Message 799 of 1,018
latest reply

Sorry I missed your message, I was away visiting family in Va. for a long weekend

Message 800 of 1,018
latest reply

Hi,  I was very excited to have found this thread.   I was hoping beekeeper_42 would let me know if he thinks these earrings are from his family.   I feel pretty good about the blue pair (with the donut clips, round wire hook and eye layers, and fancy prongs on the big blue stones.)   The gray pair I think has some Schreiner characteristics (open 'Tiffany'/pie crust setting, dog tooth prongs) and an "airiness" to the design.   I would love for these to be Schreiner, but if not, there is always the teachable moment.   Thank yousbluersers1.jpgsbluersers2.jpgsbluersers3.jpgsgrayrsers1.jpgsgrayrsers2.jpg

Message 801 of 1,018
latest reply

Well you have it backward.  The blue set is not ours, but most likely Sherman.  We never had the clip land on a flat wire.  Look back and you'll see my post about my mom's wear test.  The other set in clear, and black diamond might be ours, but kind of a simple design for me to be 100% sure

Message 802 of 1,018
latest reply

Got it- no clips on flat wires.  I appreciate the time you are spending to educate and share your history.    Thank you!

Message 803 of 1,018
latest reply

Good morning - I have another piece and wondering if it is one of your family's.

the wired parts and the way it's soldered and the pin w/o the stop make me think possibly, but I'm

not that great/confident yet at recognizing unsigned Schreiner .  🤦‍

Thank you in advance!

20230515_124121.jpg20230515_124012.jpg20230515_124045.jpg

Message 804 of 1,018
latest reply

I never saw this piece, but that is not surprising, since some things were only in the line for one season. We had all the components of your pin.... HOWEVER, it looks like it might be soft soldered.  Without having it in my hand I can't be sure.  Sorry

Message 805 of 1,018
latest reply

No problem - I appreciate your help!

Message 806 of 1,018
latest reply

A84D3458-FB4E-4A06-B6B6-B33526E6C08D.jpeg

85E9AD33-32FF-4ECC-AF53-CAA73032E067.jpeg

C5FEFE70-99B0-4BEA-B21E-DF3E82DEB688.jpeg

DDC30D62-D853-4F85-94F9-B99295E3B1A3.jpeg

I found both of these in the same “junk” lot, strange because they clearly don’t match apart from superficially. And I assume neither is Schreiner, but the inverted stones make me have to ask.

Message 807 of 1,018
latest reply

Definitely a marriage as the earrings are marked 14K.  That 'plaque' at the top might at one time had a name that has worn away?  or maybe not

They kinda look like garnets to me..but I`m far from the 'smarts'  on this kind of  jewelry..wait for others to chime in 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 808 of 1,018
latest reply

IMO you have antique Bohemian garnet jewelry.   Stones aren't inverted but have rose cuts.  I think the garnets were popular before electricity replaced candlelight (gems caught the light of the candles.)   The findings can help date the pieces.  

Message 809 of 1,018
latest reply

The stones look like rose cut Bohemian garnets to me.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 810 of 1,018
latest reply