cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The family of Schreiner Jewelry Post

The family of Schreiner Jewelry are still alive and kicking.  Mom, Terry, is 89, and can't believe how my parents, and grandfathers creations have become so collectable.  My dad's , Ambros, famous ruffle pin retailed for $7.50 in the mid 1950ss.  It now often sells for over $750.00.  She is also very unhappy of crooked dealers claiming they have unsigned Schreiner, when it's not even close to anything we produced.  I have written a dealer in Cal. several times to remove things that are clearly not Schreiner.  She accused me of being another dealer trying to make her look bad... really!  Buyers beware of anything unsigned unless you have experience identifing Schreiner pieces, and don't believe them if they claimed it's verrified.  Sometimes I will post on a piece if it is clearly a Schreiner piece, and allow the seller to use my post.  Many books have poor information about my family's business.  One dealer claimed Sphinx is a hallmark of Schreiner, and listed some book from the 70ss, that stated it.  Schreiner Jewelry was only made in NYC, not in Europe, or any place else.  We did design for many of the best ready-to-wear, designers of the 30ss- 70ss, that was sold to them unsigned, but only made by us in NYC.  These pieces were sold with the garment.  Hope this helps new collectors, and best of luck to you!

SOME POSTS IN THIS THREAD HAVE BEEN EDITED.  ALL EDITES WILL BE IN CAPS AND IN RED. - SANDY, BOARD MODERATOR.

Message 1 of 999
latest reply
998 REPLIES 998

Re: The family of Schreiner Jewelry Post

As always..fascinating history & an enjoyable read! 

Thanks so much for sharing, Steve..we appreciate ya! Cat Very Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 271 of 999
latest reply

I can't see the back too clearly. Is the pin brass, or plated, or raw steel? We very rarely plated the pins, so from what I can see it looks like brass. So I would say Austria if it is.
Message 272 of 999
latest reply

Thanks! Glad you all still enjoy my blabbing!
Message 273 of 999
latest reply

It's always nice to get history from the source. Makes the pieces more intresting. Most of these kids now days wouldn't understand who Ike was anyway. Sounds like your mom was quite the unintentional sales lady. Seeing someone enjoying something is sometimes the best advertising.
Message 274 of 999
latest reply

I can't help but be curious about your brother Richard.  You say he was a health nut yet he passed away so young. 💙 Sorry to hear

He obviously was a runner.  Was his diet healthy as well?  I try to eat healthy and get picked on about it all the time.  I know a lot is genetics,  but  my main reason for eating healthy is I don't want to have to take medications for the rest of my life.  Doctors worry me.  Plus I want to feel as good as I can while I age.  I'm not so good at exersizing. 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 275 of 999
latest reply

Most of the buyers for the stores were "regulars".  They knew what would sell, in their market.  We would also never sell two stores, in the same city/ town, the same peices.  I think I mentioned before, a buyer from Tx. wanted everything unplated for a few years.  She loved the look of the raw brass settings, with the silver solder, and unfoiled stones.  It would tarnish quickly without the plating, however, but she said it sold well for several years.  So the line realy sold it's self.

Message 276 of 999
latest reply

Richard was a picky eater. We are a big seafood family, but he would ony eat flounder, or canned tuna. We had the hobby farm, so a lot of things we raised ended up on the dinner table, but he would not eat anything we raised and killed. He never ate our eggs, and I don't think I ever saw him eat my honey. He ran every day, loved to ski, kayack, and hike. In his younger years he was also a rock climber.
Message 277 of 999
latest reply

Mom just took a look.  Not one of ours!  Sorry

Message 278 of 999
latest reply

Just a heads up;  there seems to be a rash of "Schreiner Style" on E-Bay these days.  Most is really,  cheaply made so unless someone just started collecting they would never fall for it.  Plus the asking price is very low, so I'm sure they know it's not one of ours.  Wicked hot in NY today.  Hope every is having a good weekend!

Message 279 of 999
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up beekeeper hope u had a wonderful weekend!! 8))
Kimberly M Burt
Message 280 of 999
latest reply

A quick way to tell if a pin, is not schreiner; is the premade pin, and catch, bar. We never used them. You see them held on with a rivet, or solder, sure sign not one of ours. My dad would sometimes add a wire bar, for the pin, and catch, but these always had the wire with the fancy edging, and were soldered together, not premade.
Message 281 of 999
latest reply

I am here to ask for your assistance again, beekeeper_42, if it's not too much trouble.   A friend has this lovely pin and is wondering if it was made by your company.  74473504_551499928987157_204059385201164288_n.jpg72568139_526772158172502_4278974607316221952_n.jpg

Message 282 of 999
latest reply

No, not one of ours. We never had that style setting on the two lg. ruby colored stones, nor the filigree. I would say European, since it's pretty well made. Sorry! Best of luck!
Message 283 of 999
latest reply

Thank you! This is my piece. I appreciate the info.

Message 284 of 999
latest reply

Greetings - It's been awhile since I've been to this board and popped back into this super informative thread. I've spent the past several days researching vintage jewelry and found a nice bio about Schreiner Jewelry in one of the costume jewelry books. Here's what it had to say:

"The company was founded by Henry Schreiner after WWII and after his death in 1951, operated under the leadership of his daughter Terry Schreiber and her husband Ambrose Albert until the late 1970s. Some Schreiber jewelry exhibits outstanding designs and craftsmanship employing unusual stones and is seldom encountered in the market. Many such pieces from the Terry Schreiber Albert Collection are displayed in Nancy Schiffer's book, Costume Jewelry. But much of the jewelry found on the collectible market consists primarily of pins and earrings with above average designs employing unusual and distinct stones, sometimes reverse mounted. Most brooches and earrings can be purchased in the $50.00-$100 range. Schreiner jewelry is expected to rise in prices, particularly due to the recent attention it has received in several books on costume jewelry."

BTW, book was published in 1998: "Costume Jewelry - A Practical Handbook & Value Guide" by Fred Rezazadeh" - There is also a photo of a blue and white brooch pin with this description:

"Two tier pin with opaque white and cloudy blue stones and clear rhinestone accents -- Marked "Schreiner" -- Schreiner frequently used unusual stones in elaborate designs. This is a common lower priced piece at $65.00 - $95.00."

Wonder what it would go for today, 20 years later? Beautiful pieces, Schreiner. Anyway, not sure if anyone has seen this bio before before, but I thought you might find it interesting nonetheless.

Message 285 of 999
latest reply