cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling Rhinestone Brooches

Hi everybody! Both these pieces are a bit of a mystery to me. Both are marked sterling, but no other markings. Both have rhinestones, and are gold toned. I'm not sure as to how old there are. I'm guessing at least Mid-Century. Thoughts? Remarks? ThanksIMG_6613.JPGIMG_6614.JPGIMG_6619.JPGIMG_6624.JPGIMG_6628.JPGIMG_6633.JPGIMG_6636.JPGIMG_6637.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Sterling Rhinestone Brooches

Not goldTONE, goldWASHED.  The first term means only gold colored.  Goldwashed (when sterling is gold colored) means that it has a light layer of gold on it.  Real gold but not enough to mention because it is such a thin coat and it does wear off over time but can be replated if can/want to.  When shopping I would just skip over goldTONE because it is usually cheap bupkiss.  But goldWASH is a whole nother ball game! (And worth more too!)

That said, if the items are sterling the stones may NOT be rhinestones.  I have seen real stones in cheap metal and sterling with fake stones but more often than not if it is in good metal the stones tend to be at least semi-precious (garnets vs rubies but far better than glass, no?).  I bought a lot of "rhinestones" last year that turned out to be sapphires and emeralds (with a couple of tiny diamond chips here and there)!  You would need an expert or tools (I have a Presidium and test everything now) to know for sure.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I really appreciate the education. Thank you for taking the time to explain. After I presidium tested the stones on the heart shaped brooch, it turns out they register as garnets!

The single stone flower... the stone also tested in the "Garnet, troumaline, iolite" range. I know it's not tourmaline, so I'm guessing iolite? But the color isn't as dark purple. Thoughts?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

It is pink so tourmaline is right on the money (pink, green, white most common shades for tourmaline).  So happy for you! Gorgeous pieces!  Somebody is gonna get a nice pin for Valentines!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Wow what great news ! I would have thought they were rhinestones too . Just learned something here , thanks ! 

I always think of iolite as being more purple / blue varying in shades from pale periwinkle to  violet  to sapphire in color . 

Very nice pieces ....Congratulations ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

rix--Thank you so much for posting this info about goldtone/goldwash. Never knew!

==============================
Enjoy today, Tomorrow it will be gone!
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Not to steal your thread but I cant emphasize enough that sellers check their stuff before listing.  If its fake and you say so fine but the other two sides to that are you list a fake as real (we all know that sucks) but there is also the chance that we sell REAL stones as "rhinestones". 

I love to brag about how I got a box of "rhinestones" that turned out to be sapphires and emeralds with a couple of diamonds to boot for $20.  Well it happened AGAIN!!!  I got a pair of "green glass costume" earrings that are EMERALDS the size of quarters! (not Tiffany quality GIA type stones but clear and real!) I got a "dress up locket" that is 18K gold with RUBIES and seed PEARLS.  I got a ring that has beryl stones "fake emeralds" the seller said but the red stones are REAL RUBIES and white topaz accent stones!  In the same box I got a "broken watch" that is 14K solid!!

Now most of the time the door swings the other way and the "amethyst" turns out out to be just purple glass and I bought "jade and amber" bangles that were plain old plastic.  If you just want the stuff gone and will take whatever you can get and be happy then no harm done. But it doesnt hurt to check so you dont sell good stuff for pennies.  I would have been just SICK if I had sold these beauties for next to nothing!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply