cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starfish? Glass? Beauty - not signed. Help, please.

Beautifully made. Is the material poured glass? The color reminds me of very, very weak tea. The back “glass” feels smooth but the front seems to “curve” in just a little bit. In second picture there looks like something above the clasp pin but that is something in the glass or goldtone below it. Nothing that looks like any kind of marking to me. Not noticable to the naked eye. Key words? Description?

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3411.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Starfish? Glass? Beauty - not signed. Help, please.

I'd be checking super carefully for a faintly stamped sterling mark, use a loupe if possible because it looks a bit like vermeil ....

You are the only one who can tell if the material is glass or not ....not having the item in hand means we can't tap it against our teeth, feel the temperature and examine it with a loupe for air bubbles which ones sees in glass ... all those  fun  tests  joolies perform on our items. Smiley Happy

The material could well be lucite ..... it sure reminds me of jelly belly jewelry, which used lucite to such great effect.

I agree this is a  very nicely made brooch.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If this is lucite then you have a wonderful Jelly Belly, even if glass it's a very nice pin.

As arlene said, you need to loupe it carefully for marks.

I LOVE it !

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thanks to both for your help and knowledge!!

I haven’t found any markings yet. No sterling Smiley Frustrated I do now see what looks like bubbles. I first thought the cold I felt on the front was from the “gold ribs”. I now think everything is covered with “glass” on the underside and the top except the very outside of the brooch and the center that the stone is in. If so, would this be called “poured glass”? Still looking and hoping.

I really appreciate this board. I have so much to learn.Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Has this been tested for gold content, could that be a diamond in the center..

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the questions Mimiwells,

I really thought both when I first saw it. Gold and diamond came up negative. Guess it is just a beautiful unsigned brooch.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

What a gorgeous brooch!  Love the 2 dimensional look to it.  I did some research and cant find anything in regards to it.  I would keep it 🙂

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, mainemomlooking, for doing some research and for your responseSmiley Very Happy

Its funny because, I don't wear much jewelry - and I don't know much about jewelry - but I love to find pretty piece - and this is a very pretty brooch. Looks even better than the pictures.

I may end up keeping it (for my collection) or giving it to a relative or friend I know would wear it. I am not even sure I could give it a good title and descripton, if I tried to sell it.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply