cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple 9ct Gold pins - Victorian english registration number - What are they for ???

Hi folks

Wonder if any of you have come across these before - I am not really sure what they are for ??

I have tried looking up the registration number which would be the obvious way to figure them - but web is drawing a blank searching this number - the list online is incomplete - I wasnt able to turn anything up

There are two of them so possibly something requiring a pair ???

Made from hollow 9ct gold wire - then For each pin - both ends pull out and are very sharp - On the photo I just pulled out one of the pins so you see

They measure 70mm wide

They are marked 9ct and Rd8604 - so that would indicate the design was registered in 1884

I would have assumed that they were just perhaps one-off items if it wasnt for the fact that the design had been registered - the fact they did this indicates they likley made quite a few of them 

What are they ?

So theories are

Hair Pins ?

Tie pins ?

Cravat Pin ?

Epaulette fixing pins  ?

Parts that go with another piece of jewellery ?

Any ideas ??

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Simple 9ct Gold pins - Victorian english registration number - What are they for ???

3goldpins.jpg

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Re: Simple 9ct Gold pins - Victorian english registration number - What are they for ???

Stock Pin ? was another possibility I meant to add to the list 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Antique diaper pins??  (for a rich family of course)

Just thought I`d add another possibility  Cat Wink

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Another possiblity; lingerie pins.

The shape of the pins leads me to guess Epaulette fixing pins.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

May be shoe buckle pins.
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have had another look with a jeweller, and he feels that these are converter pins for jewellery. Example only : tiaras make a number of brooches or perhaps a necklace. Think of those very large diamond stars that were worn. often in many sizes all down the front of the dress, which were used in other ways. Someone in Garrards would know. Charm

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I would have to say epaulette because of the shape also.

Carolyn

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

LOL, knowing this is so very wrong but have to say it, bib pins 😉
Message 9 of 9
latest reply