cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Lucite

Does vinatge Lucite typically not have mold seams? I bought a necklace today at GW that is faux tortoiseshell because I thought it might be Lucite. A statement necklace, big thick rhomboid-shaped pieces in front and large-ish beads on the side & back. A choker. Has a vintage vibe, maybe 1980s. Not signed, of course. 

Anyway, vintage Lucite seamless, or can be seamed?

Thanks,

Rubiano

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Question About Lucite

Lucite can have seams.  You are thinking of bakelite which is seamless.

Carolyn

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

I agree with Carolyn . Vintage lucite or plastic can and often does have seams . Bakelite does not .
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

No, I wasn't thinking of Bakelite. I've collected lots of Bakelite over the years. I was just curious about Lucite, as this necklace's components have no seams. It looks like someone tried a hot pin on the back of one of the chunks, which ruled out Bakelite.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

I just checked out a bunch of lucite pieces and didn't find any seams.  Not to say lucite doesn't have seams because I don't know for sure, but the dozen or so pieces I looked over don't have any seams.  Hard plastics and acrylics can have seams.  This bracelet is acrylic and has a seam around the inside:

spottedbangle3.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

I did some Googling last night and couln't find a single instance where it said Lucite has seams. Of course, I didn't find any that said it doesn't. I'll try to get more creative with my Googling terms.

Rubiano

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

Found this:

Lucite

Being the same as Plexiglas and Perspex, Lucite is more recognizable. It has a slicker feel and is lighter than Bakelite. Like Bakelite, it would be rare to find a piece with mold marks or seams. Generally speaking, Lucite comes in bright colors and patterns that are not seen in Bakelite. Sometimes in darker colors it is confused with Bakelite. However, if you’ve done the Bakelite tests (and feel the piece does not have a damaged or altered finish), the piece is likely Lucite. 

http://www.collectorsquest.com/blog/2006/11/23/early-plastics-identification-and-care/://www.collect...

And this:

Older jewelry is made of plastic. There are several different plastics used: Lucite, Bakelite and casein. A Bakelite test can be used to show that the plastic is not Bakelite or other plastics. Lucite and Bakelite are very similar as they will not contain any seams or other mold marks. The finishing of these plastics erases any marks. Lucite is a little lighter than Bakelite but otherwise the two are hard to distinguish. A chemical reaction is needed to test the plastic

httphttp://www.ehow.com/how_7550709_test-item-lucite-plastic.html://www.ehow.com/how_7550709_test-it...

I am taking those as guides, not gospel.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

Very interesting . I must be confusing Vintage Hard Plastics with Lucite . Lucite seems to be a nicer word than plastic and I think people in the resale world tend to call it all Lucite if it's not Bakelite . Oooops , Sorry !
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

Can we see a picture of the necklace that created this conversation ? I'm so curious .
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Question About Lucite

Yes, I'll get a couple of photos. Try to do it Sunday.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply